How To Treat Tank With Ich (w/ Cories And Pleco)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by XenoMarc, Aug 2, 2017.

1. XenoMarc

XenoMarc Valued Member Member

Hello,
    My family and I have a Juwel Rio 240l with 8 neon tetras, 6 panda cories, 5 male fancy guppies, 4 honey gouramis and 1 juvenile super red bristlenose pleco.
    Recently, one of my neons have been infected with neon tetra disease and white spots which I think is ich. I have an ich medicine but no aquarium salt.
    I will put my infected Neon in a spare bowl as NTD has no cure sadly.
    I want to treat the tank with the ich medicine but I do not know if it will harm my panda cories and pleco due to their hard scales.
    Any help or suggestions?
    Thank you and have a nice day

Can u also pls double check if ich is present and if I must treat the tank
    c0884aae8b074dff849cfaf5b1cc8621.jpg 88e85c3a3235d7f4e0e97b509f2e833e.jpg 6efcf7750fd36f39a0d5212cd1297159.jpg 385c5af5747b1991f0ca71062672825e.jpg 546265e71dce56860965d0ce28d77ca8.jpg

2. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I'd wait with treating if this is the only neon with a white spot. Definitely keep an eye on things and keep some meds on hands.

3. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

I think he is and I placed him in a spare bowl. Should I treat cuz ich is free swimming?

4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

There are more diseases that cause white spots. So if there are no signs of Ich visible I'd wait treating fish (possible unnecessary). If they start show Ich after all, be prepared to start treating immediately.

Most meds should be half dosed for Corys aso !

5. M

Manjit Valued Member Member

i would just increse heat to 29°C... just in case..... whats your tank size?
    gorami and guppy together is a bad Idea...

6. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Tank size is 240l / 63 us gallons. My guppies and gouramis seem to get on well, gouramis are peaceful but guppies chase other guppies a lot.
    If I increase the temp, will the neons be okay as they are sub-tropical?

7. M

Its for some time... they will be fine.... but be sure to provide sufficient surface agitation and add a air stone... As gases(oxygen) escape faster in warmer water....

8. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I use ich Meds but yes you can use heat if you desire. If you decide to use Meds, treat the tank about four days with daily gravel vacuums. Then wait a week and hit the tank with one more dose to kill the possible ich survivors, with no WCs for a few days as the Med dissipates. That has been highly effective for me. Corys make it tougher. They aren't particularly fond of Meds, salt or heat. I won't salt them but they can take heat or Meds in moderation.

9. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!
    I'm going to do a water change now so what should I do?
    I'll increase the temp and I already have an air stone in the tank.
    Should I use meds as well or not? If yes, should it be the specific dose or half of it so cories aren't harmed?

10. M

no no.... never use medication unless its absolutely necessary...
    by heating water you increase life cycle of ich..
    ich grows faster in warm water and falls down from the fishes body to multiply... so when fish is free from ich then comes the time to clean your aquarium throughly...

keep your air pump at full....

11. M

goramis tend to attack fishes with larger fins...like betta and guppy...
    if its working for you then its good...

12. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I full dose my tanks and watch the corys for signs of stress. You can skip a day of Medding if it seems necessary. The Meds do hang in the tank for a few days. It's not like you halted treatment. When I use meds the ich is nearly gone in a couple days. I do the single dose a week later just to be safe and it has always worked out. Meds containing malachite green have been used safely for 40+ years that I am aware of. If there was some extreme risk we'd know way before now. Label directions are usually 4-6 days. It's rare when 3-4 days isn't good enough.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice