How To Treat Septicemia?

Loachland

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So my Yoyo has red patches on his pectoral fin joints, which I think has the potential to be septicemia. I haven't seen any of the corresponding behavioral changes that would indicate septicemia, but if it is septicemia, how would I go about treating it? What antibiotics do I need, and what percentage/frequency of water changes? Is a QT tank a good idea? I know it's ideal, but my Yoyo is impossible to catch and I don't want to stress him.

Any info on how to go about treatment is greatly appreciated. For any info on my tank, go here.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't read too much into the red streaking on the YoYo's fins. If the loach is eating & otherwise acting normally, just keep up with your tank maintenence.
Septicemia can be caused by a virus or bacteria. Oviously no cure for viral Septicemia. Botia loaches usually don't respond well to the majority of fish meds so antibiotics are not a viable solution.
Septicemia is one of the more rarer fish deseases, so theres a very good chance the symptoms you see aren't those of Septicemia. Post pics if you can.

Loachland

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you for the response! I’ll try posting pics, it’s so hard to get him to stand still!

I was reading this coloration might actually have something to do with sexual dimorphism during the breeding season: I think that’s far more likely than septicemia, which would have taken a more visible behavioral toll. I’ll see how he eats tonight and generally keep a watchful eye. Given that I myself am a hypochondriac, though, I think I tend to project my fears into my pets...it’s just so hard to tell whether a collection of symptoms is random or worrisome.

AlpineTheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
I thought my betta had septicemia back in June ( he was adopted from petco and was ill so I spoke with the manager and they let me take him home for free) Anyways, the base of his anal and pelvic fins are red. Vet examined him and said since he is responsive and behaved/ate normally
the red tint could just be inflammation from poor water quality.

I am sorry I have nothing to add when it comes to what medicine to use. I would think antibiotics such as kanamycin or enrofloxacin. The vet tech said if it really is septicemia it would move pretty fast and is serious. I am going to take my other fish to be seen tomorrow so I would ask and report back

Loachland

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMG_1418.jpg
IMG_1426.jpg
IMG_1427.jpg

Apologies for the atrocious photo quality. The lighting is pretty iffy here, he’s a bit contre jour, so the redness isn’t at its most noticeable. Setting the camera up there was the only way I could capture a reasonable shot of him, though.

AlpineTheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Kanamycin bath ( or mixed in with food) with nitrofurazone in the water column, enrofloxacin, sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim, those are the ones that may work with minimal side effect ( enrofloxacin is not as hard on the kidney) that are widely available. Other than that third generation cephalosporin injections and florfenicol can work but the vet needs to prescribe them. So there are a couple treatment options if he has a strain that is resistant to what you can find OTC.

See this research paper Natural Antibiotic Susceptibilities of Edwardsiella tarda, E. ictaluri, and E. hoshinae

But many bacteria can cause this, it is not necessarily the edwardsiella. Could possibly be aeromonas but drugs listed would take care of aeromonas too ( unless it is a resistant strain...there is no way to predict without sensitivity culture what your particular bacteria will respond to, although kanamycin and nitrofurazone have low resistance rate.

Vet said he would definitely culture before treating and note the minimum inhibitory concentration of the drug. Looks like using seachem kanaplex mixed with furan 2 using label dosage ( per seachem and API) would possibly work.

However each fish is unique and dosage is not really hard and fast, just what they can tolerate. Loach/ catfish are known to be not so tolerant of medication. Vet said so as well, and I told him about me treating my cory cat with like 2x seachem dosage of kanaplex.

What is huge as well when it comes to whether he is seriously ill or not is how he acts ( again, the vet said so). Redness can result from irritation, injury or poor water quality which causes inflammation.

Vet warned me that treating when the fish is not sick will do more harm in the long run, as antibiotics will affect natural bacteria flora ( just like how we tend to have diarrhea after a course of antibiotics). Generally fish that are treated are more likely to come down with illness afterwards, if challenged with pathogenic bacteria even in the amount they could fight off with their immune system previously, because their natural bacteria flora was disturbed. They can get functional bacteria flora back but it takes time, so keeping your tank running well ( and keeping the cycle healthy since that is part of this whole bacteria flora deal which will outcompete pathogens) cleanining detritus that could breed bad bacteria, is important if you decide to treat him.

Last edited:

Loachland

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, a few days out from this, I'm realizing it's probably natural sexual dimorphism that I overreacted to because I noticed it when I first turned on the light. I don't know why this holds true, but the YoYo always appears lighter in color after a period with the lights off. This increased the contrast with the red patches and startled me quite a bit, resulting in this post.

He's still behaving perfectly normally, and last I checked, water quality was totally alright. I think I'll skip the stress of medications and just take a step back for a bit.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom