Help How To Treat My Betta Fin Rot?

jmperez

Reaction score
HI guys!

I'm really desperate now. I have a half moon betta which I've been treating fin rot since I got him only with water changes every 3 days. He got a little better after 2 months. But only recently when I changed his tank set up and added more plants, I think he got a little stressed when I temporarily transfered him in a breeding box inside our 20gal tank along with the Mollies. Now, his analfin is ripped and has red or blood showing on his fin bases and fins.
20190407_115758.jpg
20190407_121219(0).jpg
20190407_115812.jpg

He is in QT for 4 days now, I just did a 1 tsp salt bath for him while I did a 100% water change on the QT. I put aquarium salt, pimafix, and Kanaplex on his QT but he seems to get worst instead. He would throw up his pellet food for 2 days now and I tried feeding him frozen brine shrimp which some he would throw up and some not. And he eager to eat but throws them up.

What can I do?

HDavid

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In terms of feeding, breaking up the pellets might help him, or getting a different kind of fish food if he doesn’t like it. Now for the fin rot. 2 things cause fish rot, a stressed fish and a dirty tank. A lot of Betta fish come with it from their poor living conditions but to be honest yours doesn’t really look bad at all. The number one best thing you could do is not move him so much and leave as much of his surrounding alone as possible, like adding medicine and salt. This will reduce any added stress and help him fight off the infection by himself. Now is he in the 20 gallon tank with mollies or in a desperate tank? If so check the nitrate levels and just keep an eye on him that he isn’t getting pecked at or that he can eat. His coloring looks nice, and although all I have are the pictures, I’m pretty sure the red is just his fins colors, which if it is means that he is relaxing and getting his color back.

OP
J

jmperez

Reaction score
I do a water change every 3 days since he did have fin rot when I got him. He is currently in a 3gal quaratine tank.
Nitrate and Nitrite are both at 0, GH is 75 (Soft) and pH is 6.8 Neutral.
20190318_205832.jpg

This is him a week before I temporary kept him with the Mollies. HI didnt have the red linings on his fin base so it worried me a lot.

HDavid said:
In terms of feeding, breaking up the pellets might help him, or getting a different kind of fish food if he doesn’t like it. Now for the fin rot. 2 things cause fish rot, a stressed fish and a dirty tank. A lot of Betta fish come with it from their poor living conditions but to be honest yours doesn’t really look bad at all. The number one best thing you could do is not move him so much and leave as much of his surrounding alone as possible, like adding medicine and salt. This will reduce any added stress and help him fight off the infection by himself. Now is he in the 20 gallon tank with mollies or in a desperate tank? If so check the nitrate levels and just keep an eye on him that he isn’t getting pecked at or that he can eat. His coloring looks nice, and although all I have are the pictures, I’m pretty sure the red is just his fins colors, which if it is means that he is relaxing and getting his color back.

New Threads