How To Treat Ich?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by amandakr, Aug 11, 2019.

1. amandakr

amandakrNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    2 years
    Just recently got 3 mollies, 2 dalmation and 1 black.
    I can see ich on my black molly. However, I don’t know if I should separate her from the others and give her her own tank during treatment, or if I should treat the whole aquarium with all 3 mollies.
    Would the ich have spread to the other 2? I can’t really see if there is anything wrong with them as they’re white and black spots, so it’s hard to see if they have ich as well.
    Is it safe to treat the whole aquarium, or would it be dangerous to the other 2 dalmations if they don’t have ich? I figured it’d be good to treat the whole tank more as a preventative thing for the other 2 mollies, if they don’t have ich as well. Any suggestions on how to go about this?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  2. Redshark1

Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,756
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    @amandakr The usual proper ich cures have malachite green and formalin as their ingredients.

I think it can be dangerous to use salt or other treatments at the same time. I feel that Pimafix and Melafix are not effective remedies.

The whole aquarium should be treated according to the instructions.

This usually means raising the temperature and continuing to treat after all spots have gone.

Read about the life cycle of the ich parasite. This will help understand the treatment.

Don't forget to establish why they became sick in the first place. Start by attending to water quality. Could it be better?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    amandakr

amandakrNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thanks for your reply. I’ve actually concluded it is a fungal infection and not ich. I’ve quarantined my one fish and am currently giving her proper medication, she seems to be doing alright otherwise and is looking much better since I began using the medicine.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019