How to treat ich with heat?

sheila1998

I purchased green neon tetras two days ago for my 17 gallon tank and I notice three of them have ich now. How can I cure this ASAP? My tank is very clean and I use a 50 gallon aquaclear filter on it. I cranked the heat just now and added aquarium salt this morning. But how much salt do I add and do I do it per day? How high should I bring up the heat? How long? Should I do vacuum the sand daily? I have balloon rams coming in tomorrow and I don't know what to do. Should I put them in the same tank? I only have another 10 gallon tank thats cold water so not the best option!

Best Answer - View Islandvic's answer

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Do a 25% water change every other day. Add 1-2 tsps per gallon. Increase the heat by 2 degrees. Continue this until it clears up.
What temperature is your house on average? They can rams can survive without a heater for a short time and I think it would be better to put them in the 10 gallon. Does the 10 gallon have a filter?

Joker77

You need to keep the temp at 86°f+ for a minimum of 6 days. 88°f for 10 days has never failed me in completely getting rid of ich.

Salt is not needed but doesn't hurt anything. You should only add salt proportionally with your water changes to try and keep the same salinity levels. I didn't use salt either time I've had to deal with ich.

The more water changes and vacuuming you do the less the fish will get affected.

Maybe see if the store can hold the fish for a week until you deal with your ich situation. Even if they don't get sick they don't need the extra stress of the high temps on top of a fresh move.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
The rams need to be quarantined in a separate tank.

The tank with the neons, you can bump temp up to around 84f.

Being a smaller sized tank, I would suggest to vac the substrate daily with a water change.

WC's and substrate vac will remove the free floating ich in the water.

Remember, just because the ich falls off the fish doesn't mean the ich is gone.

Continue your treatment for at least a week after last visible sign of ich on the means.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Hi all,
Your profile sheila1998 does not say where you live. I don’t care , but if you live in Australia be aware we have one of the strains of ich that heat does nothing to other than speed up the life cycle as it does to all ich parasites.

OP
sheila1998

sheila1998

AquaticQueen said:
Do a 25% water change every other day. Add 1-2 tsps per gallon. Increase the heat by 2 degrees. Continue this until it clears up.
What temperature is your house on average? They can rams can survive without a heater for a short time and I think it would be better to put them in the 10 gallon. Does the 10 gallon have a filter?
The 10 gal stays at 76 degrees and my house varies if the AC is on. I read that at 85 degrees ich wont affect new fish? I also have a single 2 inch comet goldfish currently in the 10 gallon tank so I’m a little worried to house them together. I could add a heater but I also dont want to make my goldfish uncomfortable :(

AquaticQueen

Well Known
sheila1998 said:
The 10 gal stays at 76 degrees and my house varies if the AC is on. I read that at 85 degrees ich wont affect new fish? I also have a single 2 inch comet goldfish currently in the 10 gallon tank so I’m a little worried to house them together. I could add a heater but I also dont want to make my goldfish uncomfortable :(
They would both be okay a little outside their comfort zones for a little while. 76 degrees is okay for rams temperoraly.
I can't see them having any issues with aggression or anything like that.

OP
sheila1998

sheila1998

Joker77 said:
You need to keep the temp at 86°f+ for a minimum of 6 days. 88°f for 10 days has never failed me in completely getting rid of ich.

Salt is not needed but doesn't hurt anything. You should only add salt proportionally with your water changes to try and keep the same salinity levels. I didn't use salt either time I've had to deal with ich.

The more water changes and vacuuming you do the less the fish will get affected.

Maybe see if the store can hold the fish for a week until you deal with your ich situation. Even if they don't get sick they don't need the extra stress of the high temps on top of a fresh move.
Unfortunately the fish are on their way in the mail so theres no stopping that now :/ I can temporarily place them in my 10 gallon tank. you dont think 88 will bother the green neons? I know they tolerate higher temps than regular neons

Islandvic said:

Being a smaller sized tank, I would suggest to vac the substrate daily with a water change.

Continue your treatment for at least a week after last visible sign of ich on the means.
I will start the water changes and vacuuming daily! Question if I have plants do I just vacuum above them or do I need to pull them out in order to get everything?

Flyfisha said:
Hi all,
Your profile sheila1998 does not say where you live. I don’t care , but if you live in Australia be aware we have one of the strains of ich that heat does nothing to other than speed up the life cycle as it does to all ich parasites.
I’m in california luckily! I did not know that

AquaticQueen

Well Known
sheila1998 said:
Unfortunately the fish are on their way in the mail so theres no stopping that now :/ I can temporarily place them in my 10 gallon tank. you dont think 88 will bother the green neons? I know they tolerate higher temps than regular neons
I'm not Joker77, but 88 degrees will not harm the neons short term. Even regular neons would probably be okay in temperatures like that for a short period of time.

OP
sheila1998

sheila1998

AquaticQueen said:
They would both be okay a little outside their comfort zones for a little while. 76 degrees is okay for rams temperoraly.
Is there a possibility that they’ll get ich when theyre finally put into the 17 gal because of stress? How long do you think I should wait for before adding them
AquaticQueen said:
perfect okay thats the game plan then! How long should I wait before transferring them to the regular tank? When theres 0 sign of ich? And is there a possibility they could get it from stress too like I’m assuming the green neons did :(

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Islandvic said:

Why seperate the Rams? 84F won't solve the issue.

Sheila can you please place a pic to be sure it is Ich.

OP
sheila1998

sheila1998

DoubleDutch said:

Yes please keep a look out tomorrow I will post as I turned lights off already for the night! I think Islandvic meant not to put them in the infected tank because they haven’t arrived yet. They should be here most likely tomorrow! So the plan is to put them in the 10 gal with a comet goldfish but I’m worried that it will be too cold for them but then if I put them in the infected tank it may be too hot also. What temp do you suggest for the ich treatment? Ive been going up every hour I was planning to put it at 86 tomorrow morning

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
sheila1998 said:
Yes please keep a look out tomorrow I will post as I turned lights off already for the night! I think Islandvic meant not to put them in the infected tank because they haven’t arrived yet. They should be here most likely tomorrow! So the plan is to put them in the 10 gal with a comet goldfish but I’m worried that it will be too cold for them but then if I put them in the infected tank it may be too hot also. What temp do you suggest for the ich treatment? Ive been going up every hour I was planning to put it at 86 tomorrow morning
86F minimum

OP
sheila1998

sheila1998

DoubleDutch said:
86F minimum
I think I’m going to do 89 for 3-4 days starting tomorrow and bring it down to 86 for 6 more days. Do you think 89 will harm my green neon tetras??

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
sheila1998 said:
I think I’m going to do 89 for 3-4 days starting tomorrow and bring it down to 86 for 6 more days. Do you think 89 will harm my green neon tetras??
The result of 89F won't be better or wirse than 86F. So for the fish' sake I'd keep it at 86F.

Rams with Goldfish isn't a good idea I think. Also a 10G is too small for a goldfish. So if possible I'd rehome the goldfish and use the 10G heated as a QT for the rams.

OP
sheila1998

sheila1998

DoubleDutch said:
The result of 89F won't be better or wirse than 86F. So for the fish' sake I'd keep it at 86F.

Rams with Goldfish isn't a good idea I think. Also a 10G is too small for a goldfish. So if possible I'd rehome the goldfish and use the 10G heated as a QT for the rams.
The goldfish is just temporary until I can find him a bigger home! But the rams will come in today :/

Fisch

sheila1998 said:
You could purchase a plastic tote and keep the Rams in there for the time being.
Going through ich after ignoring quarantine recommendations, I will never again set up my healthy new fish to the stress of treatment. And stress it will be, on you as well as your fish.

OP
sheila1998

sheila1998

DoubleDutch said:
Don't you have a big container temporarily for the goldfish?
Im trying to pick up a 10 gal now so I don’t disturb goldies home! I’ll use half of goldies water for the QT tank so its cycled before the rams come in a few hours! Am I supposed to treat the QT tank? I dont understand how it works

OP
sheila1998

sheila1998

Fisch said:
You could purchase a plastic tote and keep the Rams in there for the time being.
Going through ich after ignoring quarantine recommendations, I will never again set up my healthy new fish to the stress of treatment. And stress it will be, on you as well as your fish.
I was so close to doing one then I thought its pointless. Shouldve done it. I didnt understand how it worked so I just skipped it. So you just leave them in for quarantine for a few weeks or treat the water?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
sheila1998 said:
I was so close to doing one then I thought its pointless. Shouldve done it. I didnt understand how it worked so I just skipped it. So you just leave them in for quarantine for a few weeks or treat the water?
Yes, you leave them in for a couple weeks and if you don't see any issues add them to the tank.
In your case, keep them in quarantine until about a week after the ich in your main tank goes away.

OP
sheila1998

sheila1998

AquaticQueen said:
Yes, you leave them in for a couple weeks and if you don't see any issues add them to the tank.
In your case, keep them in quarantine until about a week after the ich in your main tank goes away.
Perfect! WOW fishkeeping is something else lol I learn more and more everyday

Fisch

sheila1998 said:
As the bucket is not cycled, it means close monitoring of parameters.
Conditioning water, daily 50% waterchanges. I have a small heater in there as well as a little sponge filter.
sheila1998 said:
I don't like to medicate when I do not know for what. Just means more stress.
Just quarantine and observation, then targeted medication.
I also try to make the QT relatively stress free for the fish. This is personal preference, but I put in a bit of gravel, rock caves, IAL, some floating hornwort, a heater and a sponge filter.

OP
sheila1998

sheila1998

Fisch said:
As the bucket is not cycled, it means close monitoring of parameters.
Conditioning water, daily 50% waterchanges. I have a small heater in there as well as a little sponge filter.

I don't like to medicate when I do not know for what. Just means more stress.
Just quarantine and observation, then targeted medication.
I also try to make the QT relatively stress free for the fish. This is personal preference, but I put in a bit of gravel, rock caves, IAL, some floating hornwort, a heater and a sponge filter.
Ive got some fake plants and gravel and sponge filter and heater! Ill get a cave or two when I pick up the tank. Also I was gonna put in half of my goldfish water so the tank is somewhat cycled. Is that ok? And 50% water changes daily?

OP
sheila1998

sheila1998

DoubleDutch said:

Here are the photos! Im starting to notice that the fish are almost less shy and more comfortable with the higher temp!

Attachments

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Posts 2,3,4 all solid advice. Temp at 86 daily if not more water changes. A tspn of salt per g should be enough.
But next ballon rams are not an easy fish to keep. They need high temp. I think 82-84 and clean water.

Fisch

sheila1998 said:
Here are the photos! Im starting to notice that the fish are almost less shy and more comfortable with the higher temp!
Is it just the picture, or don't they show the red coloring?

OP
sheila1998

sheila1998

Fisch said:
Is it just the picture, or don't they show the red coloring?
Just the pics! I mean the green neons have a tiny bit red less than regular neons but you can barely see it

OP
sheila1998

sheila1998

86 ssinit said:
Posts 2,3,4 all solid advice. Temp at 86 daily if not more water changes. A tspn of salt per g should be enough.
But next ballon rams are not an easy fish to keep. They need high temp. I think 82-84 and clean water.
My tank was ready for them! Super clean and I kept it at about 80 but now that I see my green neons are actually more active in 84-86 I will keep it in the mid 80s after all this heals and the rams go in

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom