How To Treat Fin Rot?

Beginner101

Active Member
Member
Messages
227
Reaction score
19
Location
Canada
Experience
Just started
Can you guys please help.me treat fin rot. My little guys sick and it has to be fin rot. Water parameters are good 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite and 5 ish ppm nitrate. I think it was caused by another fish which I got from the pet store, he died in 4 days after I got him. He is a platy. On hand I have furan-2 but I could get salt tommorow. Also do I need to quarantine, it seems to got on afew tetras too.
1523666378700.jpg
 

DutchAquarium

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,330
Reaction score
549
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
More than 10 years
Your going to want to look for a herbal medication for the fin rot. Fin rot in general is caused by dirty aquariums or sometimes injury. If you only have platys in your aquarium, I would add some salt and do a salt bath. Could you tell us the rest of your fish in there with him, because some species won't be very tolertable to the salt bath?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Beginner101

Beginner101

Active Member
Member
Messages
227
Reaction score
19
Location
Canada
Experience
Just started
DutchAquarium said:
Your going to want to look for a herbal medication for the fin rot. Fin rot in general is caused by dirty aquariums or sometimes injury. If you only have platys in your aquarium, I would add some salt and do a salt bath. Could you tell us the rest of your fish in there with him, because some species won't be very tolertable to the salt bath?
Ah, I knew I forgot something, sorry for late reply but they're are neon tetras(10) 3 total platys and 3 dwarf gouramI it's a 20 gallon tank btw. Also so then I could use melafix, which I don't have but I could get.
 

DutchAquarium

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,330
Reaction score
549
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
More than 10 years
melafix works pretty well. So, instead of a saltwater bath now because of the species of other fish, I would do a epson salt dip which is where you take the fish out and dip it instead of adding salt to the aquarium.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Beginner101

Beginner101

Active Member
Member
Messages
227
Reaction score
19
Location
Canada
Experience
Just started
DutchAquarium said:
melafix works pretty well. So, instead of a saltwater bath now because of the species of other fish, I would do a epson salt dip which is where you take the fish out and dip it instead of adding salt to the aquarium.
Ok how long? And what should I do it in? Like a cup or something? Also would it be fine to put in a few neon tetras cause I think they have it too.
 

DutchAquarium

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,330
Reaction score
549
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
More than 10 years
Neons don't have a high tolerbility to the salt, so I suggest just going with the melafix for them. You could potenially just use the melafix for the platy also if you wanted. Normally, I will dip a fish for 2 minutes at 1.005 parts salinity. I will keep the fish in the net while dipping and just let the bottom of the net go in. Melafix works very well, and I only use the salt dip method if the condition is very bad or i'm out of meds. Because it is a herbal medication, it won't affect your aquarium much if you add it to the main system.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Beginner101

Beginner101

Active Member
Member
Messages
227
Reaction score
19
Location
Canada
Experience
Just started
DutchAquarium said:
Neons don't have a high tolerbility to the salt, so I suggest just going with the melafix for them. You could potenially just use the melafix for the platy also if you wanted. Normally, I will dip a fish for 2 minutes at 1.005 parts salinity. I will keep the fish in the net while dipping and just let the bottom of the net go in. Melafix works very well, and I only use the salt dip method if the condition is very bad or i'm out of meds. Because it is a herbal medication, it won't affect your aquarium much if you add it to the main system.
I think I'll get melafix tommorow then because if I go with the salt method it will be to expensive, I need to get salt and the water salinity measurer. But if I were to go that method what would I do it in? And does melafix stain the seals?
 

DutchAquarium

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,330
Reaction score
549
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
More than 10 years
Malachite green is usually the active ingredient in medications that stains the seals of the aquarium, you should have no problem with the melafix.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Beginner101

Beginner101

Active Member
Member
Messages
227
Reaction score
19
Location
Canada
Experience
Just started
DutchAquarium said:
Malachite green is usually the active ingredient in medications that stains the seals of the aquarium, you should have no problem with the melafix.
Ok thanks I'll get them tomorrow, hopefully they have it in stock.
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
156
Guests online
2,837
Total visitors
2,993

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom