How To Treat Fin Rot? Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Beginner101, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Beginner101

Beginner101 Valued Member Member

Can you guys please help.me treat fin rot. My little guys sick and it has to be fin rot. Water parameters are good 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite and 5 ish ppm nitrate. I think it was caused by another fish which I got from the pet store, he died in 4 days after I got him. He is a platy. On hand I have furan-2 but I could get salt tommorow. Also do I need to quarantine, it seems to got on afew tetras too. 1523666378700.jpg

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Your going to want to look for a herbal medication for the fin rot. Fin rot in general is caused by dirty aquariums or sometimes injury. If you only have platys in your aquarium, i would add some salt and do a salt bath. Could you tell us the rest of your fish in there with him, because some species won't be very tolertable to the salt bath?

3. OP
    OP
    Beginner101

Ah, I knew I forgot something, sorry for late reply but they're are neon tetras(10) 3 total platys and 3 dwarf gourami it's a 20g tank btw. Also so then I could use melafix, which I don't have but I could get.

4. D

melafix works pretty well. So, instead of a saltwater bath now because of the species of other fish, i would do a epson salt dip which is where you take the fish out and dip it instead of adding salt to the aquarium.

5. OP
    OP
    Beginner101

Ok how long? And what should I do it in? Like a cup or something? Also would it be fine to put in a few neon tetras cause I think they have it too.

6. D

Neons don't have a high tolerbility to the salt, so i suggest just going with the melafix for them. You could potenially just use the melafix for the platy also if you wanted. Normally, i will dip a fish for 2 minutes at 1.005 parts salinity. I will keep the fish in the net while dipping and just let the bottom of the net go in. Melafix works very well, and i only use the salt dip method if the condition is very bad or i'm out of meds. Because it is a herbal medication, it won't affect your aquarium much if you add it to the main system.

7. OP
    OP
    Beginner101

I think I'll get melafix tommorow then because if i go with the salt method it will be to expensive, I need to get salt and the water salinity measurer. But if I were to go that method what would I do it in? And does melafix stain the seals?

8. D

Malachite green is usually the active ingredient in medications that stains the seals of the aquarium, you should have no problem with the melafix.

9. OP
    OP
    Beginner101

Ok thanks I'll get them tomorrow, hopefully they have it in stock.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice