How To Treat Dropsy

Makeda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello,
My friends betta seems to be sick I looked it up and he seems to have the symptoms of dropsy
He is bloated his find are sticking out and isn't vert active do u have any tips an treatment and what I can do.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Marcyrn is a good medication to use for gram negatives. I don't rembember if it's marcyrn one or two, but it will say treats for dropsy on the box. It's a bit more expensive than other brands, but it's very effective. I would also add in some indian almond leaves into the aquarium to lower your bettas stress levels, and begin giving the betta garlic soaked foods which will boost the immune system.

Makeda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DutchAquarium said:
Marcyrn is a good medication to use for gram negatives. I don't rembember if it's marcyrn one or two, but it will say treats for dropsy on the box. It's a bit more expensive than other brands, but it's very effective. I would also add in some indian almond leaves into the aquarium to lower your bettas stress levels, and begin giving the betta garlic soaked foods which will boost the immune system.
Thanks I will try to find some fof those things

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dropsy isnt a disease but rather a symptom. It can be caused my multiple things, usually bacterial.

I would fast your fish raise the temperature and do salt baths. Or if hes the only fish in the tank you can dose the tank. The ratio is roughly 2tbs per 5g.

Im sorry you are dealing with this. Please quarentine the fish if tou can and keep really pristine water... daily water changes are best.

Also side note... fish with dropsy are really sensitive to changung water params, so MAKE SURE you dont shock him. When doing WC, make sure the temperature is the same, youve already added salt (if you doing it that way), you dont have a crazy ph, etc.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kyleena696 said:
I've heard of Epsom salt baths to help relieve symptoms. However I don't know what the ratio of salt:water is or time or anything.
Never use epsom salt. About 50 years ago, salt was the only readily available mediaction and therefore many used it. Nowadays despite the myth of salt being a cure all, we know that it is actually hurting our fish and making them more prone to other diseases. Not only will salt weaken the fishes immune system, but the slime coat will be reduced allowing your fish to become more prone to other pathogens. Osmosis is another thing occuring within you fish when introduced to salt which is very hard on the fish. The fish actually becomes dehydrated because of the cells bursting as they try to match the outside enviroment. This is a myth going on for too long with many claiming it works with no actual research. You can actually find these reports by typing in scholarly articles effects of salt on freshwater fish.

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DutchAquarium said:
Never use epsom salt. About 50 years ago, salt was the only readily available mediaction and therefore many used it. Nowadays despite the myth of salt being a cure all, we know that it is actually hurting our fish and making them more prone to other diseases. Not only will salt weaken the fishes immune system, but the slime coat will be reduced allowing your fish to become more prone to other pathogens. Osmosis is another thing occuring within you fish when introduced to salt which is very hard on the fish. The fish actually becomes dehydrated because of the cells bursting as they try to match the outside enviroment. This is a myth going on for too long with many claiming it works with no actual research. You can actually find these reports by typing in scholarly articles effects of salt on freshwater fish.
I don't think you're right. I've seen many members on here recommend a Epsom salt bath to relieve bloat.

I've always heard that salt increases the slime coat of a fish. Yes it's bad because it's irritating the fish, but that's why the fish produces more slime.

Also, if lots of cells are bursting the organism is going to die.

Edit: also I think aquarium salt (NaCl) and Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) are quite different. You're using them like they're interchangeable.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kyleena696 said:
I don't think you're right. I've seen many members on here recommend a Epsom salt bath to relieve bloat.

I've always heard that salt increases the slime coat of a fish. Yes it's bad because it's irritating the fish, but that's why the fish produces more slime.

Also, if lots of cells are bursting the organism is going to die.

Edit: also I think aquarium salt (NaCl) and Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) are quite different. You're using them like they're interchangeable.
I aware of the difference of aquarium salt and epsom salt. I want to point out that yes, cells bursting is going to eventually cause your fish to die. this just adds to the argument against the myth. You need to do your own research on what's going to happen. I've heard the argument of the slime coat becoming thicker but the process is very harsh. Normally the disease gets a better hold before the coat can re thicken. And while many people do use salt because that's the first thing wiki how told them to do, the disease is normally very simpled and cured becasue they gave the fish new clean water with added salt. Salt didn't cure it, it was the water change. Again, i highly suggest you look up scholarly articles about effects of salt on freshwater fish instead of just thinking or hearing what might be right. Their are too many begginer out their claiming salt worked for them.

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DutchAquarium said:
I aware of the difference of aquarium salt and epsom salt. I want to point out that yes, cells bursting is going to eventually cause your fish to die. this just adds to the argument against the myth. You need to do your own research on what's going to happen. I've heard the argument of the slime coat becoming thicker but the process is very harsh. Normally the disease gets a better hold before the coat can re thicken. And while many people do use salt because that's the first thing wiki how told them to do, the disease is normally very simpled and cured becasue they gave the fish new clean water with added salt. Salt didn't cure it, it was the water change. Again, i highly suggest you look up scholarly articles about effects of salt on freshwater fish instead of just thinking or hearing what might be right. Their are too many begginer out their claiming salt worked for them.
You seemed to be using them interchangeably as I've never heard of adding Epsom salt to a tank, rather using it as a salt bath for a short period of time.
I do plenty of research thank you very much, and I find the research I do to me more helpful than posting on this site. I ask questions here when I want peoples opinions on a certain situation. I also want to add that I have never added salt to any aquarium. However I have seen many knowledgeable members here reccommend a salt bath to treat dropsy symptoms.

However we have gotten way off topic and I'm no loger continuing this conversation here as I feel we are being very rude to the OP now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom