How to treat betta with swim bladder, don’t use peas

sleeplessrat

hey so while doing research onto figuring out why my rescue fish [jimmy- check other threads if interested long story short he was my grandmas fish and she was keeping him in a vase and she asked if i wanted to keep him] was swimming weird

i realized it was swim bladder . now i was giving him an epsom salt bath before hand because he had just a plant based diet that was just pellets so i guessed he was constipated- he wasnt eating thats why i guessed that.
but while doing research on what others have went through with their fish having swim bladder and i came across people using- peas??

if you didnt know- bettas are carnivores. they eat bugs and worms- you get the drift- which means they dont have the digestive track to process plant matter. similar to a dog. dogs cant live off of a plant based diet and it isnt recommended you feed your dogs plants- same with bettas.

the thing where this whole pea thing started from to treat swim bladder was originally used on gold fish. gold fish arent carnivores- which means they have the digestive track that can process peas. peas most likely will make your betta fish worse than it was before- or the same and you dont see any changes- but if you have fed your betta peas to treat swim bladder dont worry- they wont die from it- id just recommend monitoring them to see if the pea passed through- but if you havent done that and you wanna treat your betta for swim bladder-

i recommend you fast them for 3 days and give them epsom salt baths- in separate holder- small container would work but id put an air stone in it just so they feel more comfortable- and after the three days give them daphina [i think thats how you spell it] if you dont have daphina id give them brine shrimp- and continue the salt baths till you see improvement :-] work your way up to 8 minutes each day- so 5 mins on the first day second day 6 etc. :-D

BigManAquatics

I always suggest daphnia for bettas. If for no better reason, just look at cats. Cats are carnivores. They eat grass to make themselves vomit. And about anything else other than meat will do the same. So why would i want to give a betta-anither carnivore-something other than meat?

Upvote 0

sleeplessrat

exactly-

Upvote 0

Nourhanateout22

hey so while doing research onto figuring out why my rescue fish [jimmy- check other threads if interested long story short he was my grandmas fish and she was keeping him in a vase and she asked if i wanted to keep him] was swimming weird

i realized it was swim bladder . now i was giving him an epsom salt bath before hand because he had just a plant based diet that was just pellets so i guessed he was constipated- he wasnt eating thats why i guessed that.
but while doing research on what others have went through with their fish having swim bladder and i came across people using- peas??

if you didnt know- bettas are carnivores. they eat bugs and worms- you get the drift- which means they dont have the digestive track to process plant matter. similar to a dog. dogs cant live off of a plant based diet and it isnt recommended you feed your dogs plants- same with bettas.

the thing where this whole pea thing started from to treat swim bladder was originally used on gold fish. gold fish arent carnivores- which means they have the digestive track that can process peas. peas most likely will make your betta fish worse than it was before- or the same and you dont see any changes- but if you have fed your betta peas to treat swim bladder dont worry- they wont die from it- id just recommend monitoring them to see if the pea passed through- but if you havent done that and you wanna treat your betta for swim bladder-

i recommend you fast them for 3 days and give them epsom salt baths- in separate holder- small container would work but id put an air stone in it just so they feel more comfortable- and after the three days give them daphina [i think thats how you spell it] if you dont have daphina id give them brine shrimp- and continue the salt baths till you see improvement :-] work your way up to 8 minutes each day- so 5 mins on the first day second day 6 etc. :-D
sleeplessrat This was very helpful! I rescued 3 bettas, all with swim bladder, I tried peas but they won't take which makes sense... lol I have been fasting them for almost a week now and they are still floating and not being able to keep themselves down or upright. I them in little deli cups to minimize injury and I have something for them to lay on. My only fear with Epsom salt is I don't want to kill them cause bettas are sensative to salt. Any suggestions on how much salt to add to these small deli cups?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nickguy5467
Replies
Views
nikm128
Replies
Views
Crimson_687
Replies