How to Treat Algae on Driftwood That Has Java Moss Growing on it?

Aysu

A few weeks back, I upgraded the light on my aquarium from just a built-in tank lid light to a nice LED light. The effect on my plants has been amazing... the effect on the algae slightly less amazing. This is mostly my fault, as I didn’t set the time the light was in back to account for the brighter lights/more full spectrum and also didn’t cut back on the fertilizer. I had a hair algae explosion, and some of what I think is stag horn algae. It was everywhere, on all the plants' leaves, on the filter, in the filter, on the rocks, on the snails' shells, etc.

Anyway, after much adjusting of time the lights are on, nutrients, water changes, a bleach dipping party, and adding a couple Amano shrimp, I have it under control now, for the most. However, the uppermost portion of my driftwood tree still stubbornly grows hair and stag horn algae on the wood, and on the Java moss. I assume the problem is because it's so close to the light, the wood is probably rotting and releasing extra nutrients, and I have no idea how to kill the spores to stagger the growth rate without damaging the moss. I've tried pulling large chunks of algae infested moss off and disposing of it, I've tried killing the lights for a few days, and I’ve tried scrubbing the wood with a toothbrush. Unfortunately, the wood has lots of little branches that are super fragile and soft now that they’ve been underwater for several months, so I can’t scrub as hard on them as I would like, and the algae is stubborn. All that happened was the algae took over where the moss was on the driftwood, and while it hasn’t grown back to such lengths as at the start, it still grows. The algae doesn’t seem to be spreading across the tank anymore now that I’ve fixed the nutrients and light problems, and it certainly isn’t harming the livestock, but it looks kind of ugly.

The only thing I haven’t tried yet is a bleach dip on the driftwood tree. Can I do that? Will it damage the Java moss? If I can, then long should I dip it for, and how should I dechlorinate it before adding it back to the aquarium? Or is there something else I can do? Please help!

Attached are a couple pictures of the driftwood tree in question:

Attachments

• DFE3BFD6-A1E6-4216-8120-5A9C30004A0C.jpeg
    DFE3BFD6-A1E6-4216-8120-5A9C30004A0C.jpeg
    301 KB · Views: 27
  • A8D1159F-FF48-48D3-BFEB-1179A9F9E189.jpeg
    A8D1159F-FF48-48D3-BFEB-1179A9F9E189.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 26

Spudsssy

I think it looks really nice!! Lovely short controlled hair algae.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Andy1984
  • Algae
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
  • Jallen42
  • Algae
Replies