How to trap assassins?

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 Well Known Member Member

I originally bought 5 assassin snails to help with the bladder and ramshorn snail explosion in my 45 gallon tanks. I lost one of the assassins but ended up have 2 pair of the other 4 (since they are sexual, I apparently had 2 males and 2 females). So I should have 4 assassins in my 45 gallon tank.

I did a big water change on the tank about a week ago and noticed a pea-sized baby assassin in the tank! Looking around, I counted at least 10 assassins of all different sizes! The good thing is that the MTS explosion is now nonexistent, the bad thing is I think I'm going to have to start adding snails to the tank to feed the little boogers!

I will get pics next water change because they are so stinking cute, but in the meantime, does anyone know of a technique to trap them? I'm sure I don't need as many assassins as there are in the tank, but since they hide most of the time I don't know how to take any out!

I'm also wanting to get a couple nerites to clean the algae off the back glass and would like to decrease the assassin population before so they don't decimate the nerites before they have a chance to do their job!

Junne, I guess my eggs hatched after all!

2. C

CLam Well Known Member Member

Tbh, I think your best bet is to catch them whenever you see them. Assassins really are ninjas—I never saw mine at first, since they all burrowed into the sand, and they're not all that active in the daytime. I worried they would starve, or that they were already dead, because they'd disappear for days at a time, but then...the MTS started disappearing too—from their shells.

We should popularize another common name for assassin snails: the ninja snail.

3. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

They will eat uneaten fish food, not just snails. But like you have discovered, they reproduce. Funny thing about buying them to control your pest snail problem is eventually they become the pest snail themselves. Pluck them out as you see them. Sell or give them away if you can.

4. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Wow Shelley! That's great! Mine were out of control - I think there were over 200 at one point - I ended up taking them to the lfs this last tank cleanout and got rid of ALL of them! NO MORE MTS SNAILS OR Assassins ( or anything that has babies! ) MY tank is notorious for baby snails it seems. Well, no more! ;)

5. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Catch them and send them to me...

You might consider modifying a shrimp trap to get a hold of them :)

6. OP
    OP
    shelleyd2008

I've had the adults for over a year, so I don't think they've reached pest quality just yet.

I don't think I have quite that many! But the hoard of MTS has definitely thinned out in that tank. Honestly, the only snails I see in that tank are the assassins except for a few small MTS that climb the sides of the tank to escape!

7. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

That's good. I have them in all my tanks. I think I bought 5 at some point, and once they started to really grow in numbers put them into other tanks, and so on and so on.... I like them. Pretty cool little snails.

8. OP
    OP
    shelleyd2008

They are pretty cool but since most of my other tanks have mystery snails in them I can't move the assassins around as I would like :(