How to transport bagged fish by car?

peddidle

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We’re going to a bigger city for the day soon, and I’m hoping to find some fish to finish stocking my 20g. The city is 2 hours away and we have an appointment to go to before coming home. Depending on what I find and when (we’re going to go to several places), the fish might end up being in the bag for about 5 hours (or less). How long can the fish be in the bags? Should I do anything like, open the bags, stir the water? Should I bring a completely separate container? I’ve only ever brought fish home from places close to me. I know fish are shipped in bags all the time, but I want to make the trip as least stressful as possible for them, making sure they have enough oxygen. Any tips?

kansas

Reaction score
I moved fish from Wisconsin to Kentucky in a cooler full of water. I'd stick a hose in the water every couple hours and blow bubbles to move the water around. This was back in the 70's.

Putting bags of fish in a cooler might help keep the temp up and would protect the backs from being punctured. Maybe request extra large bags?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depends on how large the fish are and how many in each bag. I think you’ll be just fine if you add a drop of Prime in each bag then tie them back up with as much air as possible. Keep them in a cooler of insulated box and they should be alright.

If possible, opt to fish shop after your appointment.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fish sit in bags for days sometimes so 2 hours shouldn't be as stressful to them. I would bring a cooler filler with crumbled newspaper or a cardboard box with the same and you should be fine. I would acclimate them then plan on leaving the lifghts out after you release them. That is how I would go about it. Good luck post pics if you find your final stocking :)

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oxygen isn't the worry - I've transported many fish 8+ hours by car without using pure oxygen OR opening the bags, and I've never lost a single one.

Temperature would be my worry. What I do is I take a small cardboard box and line it with something like a towel or jacket, then put the bag in and close the towel/jacket around and over it to make sure the temperature doesn't drop too low on the way home.

Good luck! It isn't as stressful as you might think it will be :)

Tez

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI peddidle they always say here where I am get them back within the hour, so I usually put them in a bucket on the way back but 5 hours it's a lot...I would get a cheap holder and get one of these with an air stone to keep them going but you have to buy the batteries seperate, they make a noise but what's a noise to getting your fish back safely.

If your with Amazon they're cheaper :)

Ebreus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
peddidle said:
We’re going to a bigger city for the day soon, and I’m hoping to find some fish to finish stocking my 20 gallon. The city is 2 hours away and we have an appointment to go to before coming home. Depending on what I find and when (we’re going to go to several places), the fish might end up being in the bag for about 5 hours (or less). How long can the fish be in the bags? Should I do anything like, open the bags, stir the water? Should I bring a completely separate container? I’ve only ever brought fish home from places close to me. I know fish are shipped in bags all the time, but I want to make the trip as least stressful as possible for them, making sure they have enough oxygen. Any tips?
DISCLAIMER: I am NOT an expert on this.
I believe the reason for the pressurized bags is so that the fish have water that is oxygenated by the pressure and so can survive for a while. I wouldn't open the bags until you get home.
To the best of my memory the pressurized bag does two things: help aerate the water and prevent ammonia toxicity.
I don't know how it's suppose to prevent ammonia toxicity but I recall reading that. If someone else could confirm or deny this and knows why it is right/wrong I'd love to know.

Jeebbs

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ebreus said:
DISCLAIMER: I am NOT an expert on this.
I believe the reason for the pressurized bags is so that the fish have water that is oxygenated by the pressure and so can survive for a while. I wouldn't open the bags until you get home.
To the best of my memory the pressurized bag does two things: help aerate the water and prevent ammonia toxicity.
I don't know how it's suppose to prevent ammonia toxicity but I recall reading that. If someone else could confirm or deny this and knows why it is right/wrong I'd love to know.
The higher carbon dioxide of the water lowers the ph, in lower ph ammonia toxicity is decreased. This is why they recommend not opening the bag until you've temp acclimated them. Once the bag is opened and the water re-oxygenates the ph will raise making the ammonia more toxic. I've done much research on this as I must travel min 2hrs to acquire new fish

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Longest ever for me was 2 and a half hours. I just put the bag on the passenger seat and threw a sweatshirt on top of it. Was it right that I don't know. Did it work? Yep.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Just tell the fish store what you are doing and ask for a larger bag. I agree with a cooler to regulate temp. They should be just fine.

New Threads