How to transition to a heavily planted tank?

mukg

I had minimal plants in my 75G, black sand substrate, with a Finnex HLC 48", which I believe has medium PAR at the substrate level.

I added a lot of new plants (swords, anubias, wisteria, vals, dwarf lily and ludwigia repens). Lighting is currently set at 100% for 6 hours and moderate lighting for another 4-6 hours (about 30%). I am dosing a small amount of API CO2 booster (25% of recommended daily dose) and 100% of recommended daily dose for Thrive.

It's been only 2 days, but I am noticing the water becoming cloudy and the ludwigia / dwarf lily leaves are beginning to break away and the vals have fallen down to the ground.

Is this pretty normal? Any recommendations on how to transition lighting/ferts/liquid CO2 (flourish excel or API CO2) given my setup?

Thanks.

MrBryan723

I would say yes. In my experience dwarf lillies are very susceptible to melying when being transplanted. But if youbhave good bulbs, thry come back pretty quickly. It's also common for many other plants to melt back to some extent or another. The Anubias is about the only plant i wouldn't expect to melt at least some.
The water is probably a result of a bacterial bloom thanks to the decomposing leaves. If you have fish in the tank, moniter your ammonia levels to make sure they don't start climbing, if not, I wouldn't worry about it. I would say you're doing plenty as far as ferts amd lighting are concerned. If you notice excessive algae growth, you could even cut back on the light a fair bit.

Upvote 0

mukg

The vals have fallen down. Almost all the leaves have dropped off the ludwigia repens and the leaves are beginning to fall off the hygrosa corymbosa temple plant. Some of the amazon sword leaves are beginning to turn yellow/brown

I do have fish. Had a lovely koi swordtail die this morning, so was concerned about the nitratres. Just checked with API liquid kit, about 20 (orange), everything else looked fine (0 nitrites, 0.2 ammonia), and the koi did not exhibit any physical signs of stress/illness.

Wonder if it did not like the introduction of plants or the CO2 liquid gluteral. Planning to add some stress relief.

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

Plants I'm pretty positive arent the issue unless you had something toxic like a java fern that it tried to eat. Which is unusual but not completely unheard of, especially with omnivores like carp. 0.2 ammonia is pretty high(0.0 is high), sounds like you started a mini cycle. How stocked is the tank, and is it a goldfish only tank?
I would encourage you to do a water change and try to keep the ammonia below .2 until it stabilizes.

Upvote 0

mukg

It's stocked about 80% for its size, with a mix of livebearers like 5 guppies, 6 platys, 3 swordtails, a molly, 4 yoyo loaches and 5 venenzuelan cories. It's a male dominated tank which I need to correct but, this swordtail was pretty zen like until it suddenly died today.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Chanyi
Replies
Views
aquaticamanda
Replies
Views
Fiosco345
  • Question