How To Transition Filters & Maintain Cycle?

Mom2some
So my second hand Fluval Canister seems to have Developed a leak. In thinking about replacing it, I am considering an Aquaclear 110 (tank is 34 gallons & I would prefer to over filter a little bit). Would that be a big mistake?

So, if I do this, how do I move media from the canister to the HOB and maintain my cycle? I have sponges, ceramic rings, polishing pads & bits of shell for calcium currently in the canister which I would plan to transfer.
Thanks.

Rainy day
Just move over everything from the cannister to the 110. Since you already have media, don't add any of the 110's components to it aside from maybe the sponge.

Mom2some
Just move over everything from the cannister to the 110. Since you already have media, don't add any of the 110's components to it aside from maybe the sponge.

Given that I am sure the space will be smaller in the HOB I assume I should prioritize the ceramic rings in terms of cramming stuff in?

The Rover
Given that I am sure the space will be smaller in the HOB I assume I should prioritize the ceramic rings in terms of cramming stuff in?

That's what I would do. The bio media is going to be the most important part to move over. The mechanical and chemical aren't going to be as important if space is limited. How long have you had the filter running with this current stocking?

Fashooga
Cram like you never crammed before...whatever you can fit in there should be fine.

Mom2some
This filter has been in use for all 25 months I have had my tank running. My stocking has been pretty steady since last August. So I feel my current cycle is pretty strong, but this causes me to worry about transitioning to a smaller space. But the beneficial bacterial colony will expand with time I presume.

varmint
As per above, bio-media is the most important item to move over. You can add a dose of Stability to the tank, during the transition, for ease of mind.

The Rover
This filter has been in use for all 25 months I have had my tank running. My stocking has been pretty steady since last August. So I feel my current cycle is pretty strong, but this causes me to worry about transitioning to a smaller space. But the beneficial bacterial colony will expand with time I presume.
If you haven't added any fish since August then you should have a pretty strong bb colony and as long as you can get all of the bio media into the AC then you should fine. You could just use the sponges from the AC. I'm going through a similar situation in that I have only been able to wash my foam sponges in my Seachem Tidal in tank water, which doesn't really get them very clean. I just washed the foam sponges in hot tap this week for the first time and it made a huge difference and my cycle hasn't been affected. I'm guessing you won't have any issues with your cycle if you move the bio media over and just use the AC's mechanical filter.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Dunk2
Replies
Views
JimTheFishGuy
Replies
Views
jenmur
Replies