How to tell when platy gives birth?

1. Shanieboy10 Initiate Member

My platy has been looking pretty big the past few days and has just started to square off. I can see the tiny eyes in her some. When will she give birth any ideas?

2. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Hello Shanieboy10 and Welcome to Fishlore!!!
    :;wv
    Glad you decided to join ;)

When the stomach area squares off, then she is really close to birth, like 1-4 days give or take. :)

Oh, and if you've got pictures we'd love to see them :)
    :;hi1

3. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Hi Shanie :) Welcome to FishLore.

Water conditions can also affect when a fish gives birth. They can hold for a couple of months or more if they are stressed by other fish or water parameters. Are you using anything to neutralize nitrites and nitrates in between partial water changes? (I noticed they're rather high....)

4. Shanieboy10 Initiate Member

My nitrites and nitrites are actually

Nitrites-0.3
    Nitrates-50

5. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

wow! 50 nitrates! I reccomend you do a waterchange asap. They are too high. When did you start the tank?

6. Shanieboy10 Initiate Member

I haven't tested in a while it's a guess

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Shanieboy10. Most live bearers will give birth every 28 to 40 days. Once she has given birth she may or will have a sunken appearance to the point of looking too skinny. If you're seeing tiny eyes in her belly and she's squared off then she is probably pretty close to birthing.
    Ken

8. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:;sh I'm not sure how to guess water parameters, especially when they are not stable. High nitrates are deadly, and I'm worried your platy and fry may not make it. Are you changing some of the water once or twice a week? A bit of Prime every 48 hours would really help because it neutralizes nitrites and nitrates. :) That would greatly increase your new fry survival.