How To Tell The Difference Between Types Of Glass Catfish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accents

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've had a glass catfish for about a month now, trying to find a store to complete the school. I finally found one, but they said their glass catfish get around 5"? How do I tell the difference between kryptopterus vitreolus and bicirrhis? I believe I have a smaller variety that only gets around 3".

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All Glass Cats sold are K. vitreolus. They grow no bigger than 3”.
K. bicirrhis has never or hardly ever been exported, and is translucent rather than transparent.
K. microcephalus is occasionally seen which grows to about 4”. It’s not transparent and has dark stripes along the body.

OP
A

Accents

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I didn't end up getting them, as I had already spent $60 on cories... Even if they happened to be different types, would they school together? As long as there store near me gets a new shipment I'll pick up the other glass cats next weekend.

Btw, one of the cories has fin rot. Would you recommend isolating it? I don't actually have another tank or filter but could do a tub and daily water changes. The temperature would be 74-75°F. Or should I just release it with the rest and hope it grows back?

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All Glass Cats sold are K. vitreolus. They grow no bigger than 3”.
K. bicirrhis has never or hardly ever been exported, and is translucent rather than transparent.
K. microcephalus is occasionally seen which grows to about 4”. It’s not transparent and has dark stripes along the body.
I have ones that are 4 1/2" to 5"

_MG_3897 copy.0.jpg

2. That is a full grown golden wonder killfish.
_MG_5519-Edit.jpg

_MG_5152-Edit copy.0.jpg

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh, ok. They’re definitely vitreolus. That 3rd picture’s amazing.
I’ve kept them a few times and they’ve never got past 3”, which fits with most info on them.
Thank you

I do seem to get some fish that grow beyond the norm. They are not all that size. The rest are 3 1/2" give or take. I have two ABN that are 6" (Beast 9 years old) and 6 1/2" ish (Benny 5 years old) Luck of the draw?

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you

I do seem to get some fish that grow beyond the norm. They are not all that size. The rest are 3 1/2" give or take. I have two ABN that are 6" (Beast 9 years old) and 6 1/2" ish (Benny 5 years old) Luck of the draw?
How old are the glass cats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom