How To Tell The Difference Between A Gold Gourami And A Honey Gourami?

1. Rack Member Member

I've seen gourami with a very strong yellow color, the store told me it's a Gold gourami, I though it was a honey since the gold ones usually have black strips. I'm kinda confused.

2. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

Honey Gourami are usually smaller and more social. Gold Gourami are a color variation of the 3 spot Gourami.

3. Demeter Well Known Member Member

The body shape of a gold, which are simply a different color form of the blue, is more elongated and they are much larger. Honey gourami can range from a soft yellow to orangish and redish. Their bodies are more compact and resemble that of the dwarf, and they are even smaller than the average dwarf gourami.

4. Rack Member Member

Are these honey gouramis?

5. Demeter Well Known Member Member

I would say yes, as even the title says so... Honey gourami are probably the best species to keep in a group. The get along pretty well.

6. Rack Member Member

Would they be fine in 15 gallon? If so, how many can I fit in?

7. Demeter Well Known Member Member

how long and wide is the tank? I longer tank is better than a taller tank for these fish. Horizontal swimming space is often better than vertical.

In a 15gal that is well decorated and filtered I would say a single pair or a trio (1M 2F) would be alright.

8. Rack Member Member

Tank is 20x13x14. Are they friendly with Cherry shrimps?

9. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

I'd say that would be hit or miss. They could decide to leave them alone or the Cherry shrimp could be a lovely (expensive) meal for them

10. JeffK Well Known Member Member

Yes, those are honey gourami. I agree with the above post: 2-3 in a 15 gal as they are very peaceful.

11. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

It is the honey gourami "gold". That's different to the gold gourami

12. Rack Member Member

Only them by themselves or is it ok to add a small school of 6 espei rasboras with them if I chose 2 honey gourami?

13. JeffK Well Known Member Member

I think 6-8x espei rasboras would be fine!

14. Rack Member Member

Is this a honey gourami? It is sorta reddish with a blue color on top of it's fin

15. scarface Well Known Member Member

Nope. Definitely not a honey. I see these ones alot in the picture posted, but can't recall what they were called.

16. Rack Member Member

Second poster on this thread fit the description of these in the picture. And a google search also returned me this sort of gourami as a honey gourami. But they look very similar to a dwarf gourami in size.

17. BHK3 Well Known Member Member

Looks like the Flame color variation of the Dwarf Gourami.

18. scarface Well Known Member Member

I own a couple honey gouramis. Those are not it. Honeys are noticeably smaller than dwarfs.

19. Rack Member Member

What color are they?

20. scarface Well Known Member Member

Yellow. I'm not basing this off color. It simply doesn't look like a honey. Like someone said, look up flame dwarf gourami.