How To Tell Molly Gender?

1. UglyAsian

UglyAsian Well Known Member Member

So, it turns out my molly was pregnant and had babies again. Could somebody tell me the way to tell the genders? Thanks. Also, I was wondering if mollies will be compatible with zebra danios (40 Breeder) And angelfish, black skirt tetras, and a red tail shark. The shark has been fine on aggression. (55 gal)

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, I’ve moved this to the Sexing livebearers Board, have a look at the stickied thread at the top.

3. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Mollies and all live bearers sex the same, males have a rod shaped anal fin (gonopodium) and females have a fan or triangle shaped anal fin.
    Danios and skirts like a cooler temp than angelfish, mollies are fine with either group (danios and skirts, or angels and shark), but the two groups are not temp compatible. The first needs around 73 degrees, the second needs warm 76-78 degree temps.

4. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Welcome back to FishLore. Haven't seen you in a while. Agreed with above.

5. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Ok, so can you give some help? I am planning on keeping the angels and shark in the 55. So that leaves out:
    6 Black Skirts( Planning on more)
    6 Zebra Danios(Planning on more)
    1 Bolivian ram
    8 or so mollies.
    I have the 55 and a 40 breeder. Could you guys help sort out which fish to go where? Thanks,

6. Mcasella

I would stick the black skirts, danios, and ram into the 40. And keep the mollies with the angel and shark (the angel and mollies will keep population of fry in check).

7. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

That's the problem. I don't like it when fry get eaten. It makes me sad :(. That's why I want t separate them. Can I put the male mollies with the tetras and danios and female mollies with the angels?

8. Mcasella

The females will drop fry for several months after their last contact with a male, separating them now will produce fry for up to 8 months (normally around 6 drops of fry). So either tank you place the females in there will be fry being eaten. It is best to separate them because if they get tired of eating them you will become overstocked. If you do not have the space for the fry or a place to rehome them to it is best to let nature take its course and you not having to feed the tank that day.

9. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

My molly just had babies, so I think the female will be done. One sad thing, though is that it is most likely going to die, as I got it rehomed with it's tank and it had a friend that died a bit ago.

10. Mcasella

All female livebearers store sperm, the male can mate with a female once and she will produce several drops of fry.

11. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Oh. Well, I can accept one ore two more batches, I just don't want to deal with it long term.