How to tell if your plants are going to melt?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Novemayune, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Novemayune

Novemayune Valued Member Member

I purchased some aquarium plants that were packed in the hydro gel, other than that, they were dry. Does this mean I'll have a higher likelihood of my plants melting? How long does the melting process normally take? Or is it total subjective to other factors?

2. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

When you buy plants like that, they are grown in a moist, above water environment. They do tend to melt or just get really pathetic looking when they are first introduced to water, but should perk up with in a week. To help them out, you add some Flourish Comp to the tank, and maybe give them a root tab.

3. OP
    OP
    Novemayune

Thanks! A couple of them are looking pretty pathetic atm, but I read someone else's thread about melting plants so I know that if they do melt, to just have faith they will come back. Does the melt affect the conditions in the tank or the clarity of the water?

4. Akari_32

As the dead leaves break down, just like with fish waste, the parameters will fluctuate, but removing any dead leaves and doing regular water changes will prevent that from happening.

5. OP
    OP
    Novemayune

Okay. So as long as my tests don't get crazy readings, just the pwc and removing the big stuff - that's totally manageable. Do plants normally recover from a melt quickly? I have anubias (idk which variety), windelov java fern, amazon sword, and water wisteria. I also have two marimo.

6. Akari_32

Probably only the sword will melt, and the others will just die back a little. How fast the plants recover depend on many things. How fast the plants usually grow, the availability of nutrients, proper lighting (or a lack of), and so on. The Anubis and fern may take a bit longer than th sword and wisteria to grow back if they die back any.

7. OP
    OP
    Novemayune

Thanks again. So far I've noticed some new root growth on the anubias, and it looks as though there are new leaves on the wisteria. As far as the sword, it looks like a couple of the leaves have unfurled a bit, but others just look pretty sad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice