20 Gallon Tank How to tell if you are over-taxing an air pump.

TK Titanium
Member
Hello, I am new to air pumps. I have it all set up but my fish seem to be avoiding it and staying on the other side of the tank far more than usual. I suspect that the flow is too much (or maybe it's just too new and unusual for them). I have a control valve to reduce the flow but I am wondering how far I can reduce it without causing the pump unnecessary strain and how to tell when I'm reaching that point. Thanks in advance.
 
SouthAmericanCichlids
Member
How long's it been in?
 
  • Thread Starter
TK Titanium
Member
3 Days in this (final) position. About a week before that in various places.
 
SouthAmericanCichlids
Member
I think they would've gotten used to it by now, I'd just lower the flow a little bit and then more and more until they start going on that side of the tank.
 
  • Thread Starter
TK Titanium
Member
Thanks, and is there anything I should be worried about on the pump end of things in terms of reducing the flow? Extra wear and tear or whatnot?
 
SouthAmericanCichlids
Member
Well I believe by lowing the flow of air, they just lets out the air into the room, instead of not letting the pump send extra so it should be fine, but if yours works differently then I would be worried.
 
  • Thread Starter
TK Titanium
Member
I doubt it works in any unusual way, it's just a Tetra Whisper 40, a Ziss Valve, and a Ziss Never Clog Airstone. Thanks for your help.
 
veggieshark
Member
I don't like limiting the pump output, and I don't like letting extra air in the room (more noise). You can use a T splitter and add a sponge filter or another airstone so that they both run at a slower rate. You could also use a larger airstone, like a strip to have an air wall with mild flow.
 
The2dCour
Member
You need a bleed off to relieve pressure or pump wear will occur if there is back pressure.
 
Wouldratherwatchaquarium
Member
Just a note if you haven't got one allready and your pump is below the tank.

make sure you fit the one way valve on your airline so water can't siphon back down the tube if pump stops.
 
  • Thread Starter
TK Titanium
Member
Good looking out. No worries, I have a check valve installed.
I looks like I can turn the Ziss valve into a bleeder valve with another length of tube and a t-splitter, that's very doable. Then I would be able to reduce flow to a greater extent and still preserve the lifespan of the airpump. Yes? I'll bet I could even design and 3d print a little silencer for the hissing sound.
 
The2dCour
Member
Just vent to atmosphere that way when your pull up on those boy in the hondas you can let them know you aerate. XD A silencer is a beat idea, let us know how that turns out if you do it!
 
  • Thread Starter
TK Titanium
Member
Will do. Shucks... (Exaggerated dramatics) looks like I'll have to visit the fish store tomorrow... darn...
 
  • Thread Starter
TK Titanium
Member
The2dCour said:
A silencer is a beat idea, let us know how that turns out if you do it!
Ok, so I have the silencer attached. It's essentially just a little basket that grips onto the end of the airline tubing and holds cotton around it to absorb some of the sound while leaving plenty of space for air to escape unimpeded. I would say that it is absorbing between 25 to 50% of the hissing. It has some durability issues and I have some new ideas so I'm probably going to redesign and try again. However, I did want to post some level of an update since it has been a few days.
 
Rachaeljuno
Member
I have this same thing, I have a Tetra whisper for 10 gallons for my 5 gallon betta tank and I have the little dial thing that you put in the airline tubing that lowers the air flow. I have it lowered by at least 50% I'd say and If I lower it to a certain amount the air pump gets pretty loud so I just keep it adjusted to where the sound isn't loud yet. Probably not the best way but I couldn't use one pump for both my 5 gallons because one of the tanks is up higher than the other so the lower tank was getting like 80% of the air and the other one only 20%, so I have 2 air pumps, 1 for each tank.
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom