How to tell if shrimp are hungry or curious

fishietank

I just moved about 20 adolescent/baby cherry shrimp to a new (and cycled) 18g tank. Before the shrimp even went in, I was dosing with bacter ae every one to two days to help the biofilm become established before the shrimp move in.

I put them in there mid-yesterday and I see them swimming around more than they do in the other tank. Now, this isn't my first time moving shrimp, and I know that sometimes they'll appear a little restless in their new tank until they get their bearings and understand their surroundings.

I just want to make sure that these are "curiosity" swims and not "hungry" swims. I want to make sure that they're not hungry.

I fed them Fluval shrimp granules yesterday and about four granules were gone in maybe 2 hours or so? So I think they're not hungry, correct?

How can I tell for sure without overfeeding them?

OP
fishietank

fishietank

bump to bring to prominence

Cherryshrimp420

Well Known
Cherry shrimps are always eating. Their stomach digests constantly and is never empty. If they are circling the tank then they could be stressed, how much plants do you have? With a cycled tank and enough plants they should be fine

MelkorTheVile

The move to a new tank could have triggered molts. After females molt, males go swimming like crazy to find them to mate. Might be partially why.

Flyfisha

Fishlore VIP
When the females molt they release a hormone sending a smell message in the water to males that they can mate. If the shrimp are zooming around its often a good sign .

ProudPapa

Fishlore VIP
Cherry shrimps are always eating. Their stomach digests constantly and is never empty. If they are circling the tank then they could be stressed, how much plants do you have? With a cycled tank and enough plants they should be fine

I know everyone has different experiences, that that hasn't been true for me. I've added shrimp to new tanks with a seasoned sponge filter and a bunch of plants with poor success several times.

Cherryshrimp420

Well Known
I know everyone has different experiences, that that hasn't been true for me. I've added shrimp to new tanks with a seasoned sponge filter and a bunch of plants with poor success several times.
Has that tank been setup for a month or longer? I guess there's some confusion, I meant a tank that went through the month-long cycling process rather than an instant cycled tank with used media.

ProudPapa

Fishlore VIP
Has that tank been setup for a month or longer? I guess there's some confusion, I meant a tank that went through the month-long cycling process rather than an instant cycled tank with used media.

No, they hadn't. I misunderstood.

ROFEA

I have the same question! Anytime I add food they all swarm but the tank is years old so they should have biofilm

OP
fishietank

fishietank

I have the same question! Anytime I add food they all swarm but the tank is years old so they should have biofilm
Do you dose Bacter AE at all?

ROFEA

Do you dose Bacter AE at all?
Yes, at least twice a week due to constant babies that I worry about getting trampled or blocked out by adults when I put in food.

OP
fishietank

fishietank

Yes, at least twice a week due to constant babies that I worry about getting trampled or blocked out by adults when I put in food.
Okay this might sound like a weird question but hear me out:

When you go to the side of your tank (say it's a rectangle, go to the shortest side, not the front view) and line your eyes up with almost the edge of the tank, do you see what appears to be fogginess and texture on the inside of that wall?

ROFEA

Okay this might sound like a weird question but hear me out:

When you go to the side of your tank (say it's a rectangle, go to the shortest side, not the front view) and line your eyes up with almost the edge of the tank, do you see p what appears to be fogginess and texture on the inside of that wall?
Yes, I have a back wall I never clean too. I am stuck between wanting to feed them enough and trying to cut back on the ostracod and limpet populations (due to overfeeding).

20220718_172302.jpg
They seem hungry but maybe would do this swarming anyway and it's not like they die if I skip a few feedings. I uploaded a video here

Attachments

• 20220718_172237.jpg
    20220718_172237.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 4
OP
fishietank

fishietank

Yes, I have a back wall I never clean too. I am stuck between wanting to feed them enough and trying to cut back on the ostracod and limpet populations (due to overfeeding).
View attachment 854236
They seem hungry but maybe would do this swarming anyway and it's not like they die if I skip a few feedings. I uploaded a video here
Huh, that is strange.

I have another few questions. When you watch the tank for a while, do you see them pooping? Do you see them staying in one spot to graze or do you see them touchdown on a surface and leave a few seconds later?

Maybe someone has some ideas as to the answer to this peculiarity?

Cherryshrimp420

Well Known
They poop constantly as well, which can form a long string. They will always prefer fish food over biofilm/algae as fish food is much more nutritiously dense

ROFEA

Huh, that is strange.

I have another few questions. When you watch the tank for a while, do you see them pooping? Do you see them staying in one spot to graze or do you see them touchdown on a surface and leave a few seconds later?

Maybe someone has some ideas as to the answer to this peculiarity?
They poop plenty and some stay in place, babies like to hang under the subwassertang plants and some bounce around but when food arrives they swarm and wrestle as if I have not fed them. Maybe I should skip to every other day or two days to cut back on the unwanted ostracods and limpets? I could just up the feeding if I notice any deaths but wonder if they are being deprived.

OP
fishietank

fishietank

They poop plenty and some stay in place, babies like to hang under the subwassertang plants and some bounce around but when food arrives they swarm and wrestle as if I have not fed them. Maybe I should skip to every other day or two days to cut back on the unwanted ostracods and limpets? I could just up the feeding if I notice any deaths but wonder if they are being deprived.
Yes you could up the feeding to see if there will be any deaths due to overfeeding.

I think if it were me, I'd still lower the feeding to cut down on the ostracods and limpets. Not for a whole lot of reason other than I just don't like the look of those things it seems. Also, I'd rather cut down on feeding than overfeed and cause some shrimp to die.

That's my advice but either way would work just fine.

Flyfisha

Fishlore VIP
I have been subscribed to this guy for many years.
This is a short recent video . There are many other videos in his library regarding feeding caridina and nec caridina shrimp. Within reason he is of the opinion you can’t overfeed cherries. As long as there is no food rotting on the substrate that might effect the water ( pollute ) .

ROFEA

I have been subscribed to this guy for many years.
This is a short recent video . There are many other videos in his library regarding feeding caridina and nec caridina shrimp. Within reason he is of the opinion you can’t overfeed cherries. As long as there is no food rotting on the substrate that might effect the water ( pollute ) .
Loved that, I'll have to check him out!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JustinCG
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
MomeWrath

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Used aquarium water (with no medications in it) can be good for watering your house plants! Have you done a water change lately?
What do you do with your water change water?

Aquarium Calculator

Desktop
Top Bottom