How to tell if it's a real Siamese algae eater?

reds

I'm wondering how to tell if the fish at my local lfs is a real siamese algae eater? It looks similar to pictures on the Internet. It has a weird stripe along the sides from the nose through to the tail. However the stripe looks like zigzag patern, I don't know if that's because it's young? I want to make sure it's a real one.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Dom90

I have two of these in my tank right now. The stripe is supposed to go across the whole body and is supposed to be straight. I have heard some LFS sell another species as the SAE, false advertising.

To give you better insight, read this article:

reds

What is the difference between the both? I'm new to the fish hobby. My tank is cycled and I have 2 male cherry barbs and 3 females.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Coradee

Chinese algae eaters stop eating algae as they mature & can get aggressive towards their tankmates, they also grow too big for most people's tanks

Siamese algae eaters are truer algae eaters & in the main non aggressive except occasionally towards each other

Dom90

I think the Chinese algae eater only comes in yellow, I could be wrong

But to the OP, you should really observe before you buy. Sometimes stores will do that. Even petco sells "Assorted African cichlids".

In my case, the SAEs I bought are true. The LFS is the biggest, most reliable in the area and has great reviews.

Coradee

I think the Chinese algae eater only comes in yellow, I could be wrong

But to the OP, you should really observe before you buy. Sometimes stores will do that. Even petco sells "Assorted African cichlids".

In my case, the SAEs I bought are true. The LFS is the biggest, most reliable in the area and has great reviews.

The yellow form is I believe a man made colour variety.
If the Op looks at the links I posted #5 it will show the difference between the SAE & CAE

hampalong

The Chinese Algae Eater was the Sucking Loach before Americans got hold of it . It has an actual sucker mouth, like a plec, so they're easy to ID.

If the stripe is a zigzag it's one of the SAEs (Crossocheilus).

Dom90

My SAE has a straight black line from mouth to tail. The SAE has a v-shaped mouth being the shark it is.

Vulpes

^ Shows the difference between SAEs,CAEs and Flying Foxes.

Tdahl09

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1435410962.780301.jpg
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1435410985.025449.jpg
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1435411003.895807.jpg
This is my sae
They are VERY active!

Live everyday

Plecomaker

shows a vairety of multiple fish mistaken for sae

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views