How To Tell If Female Shrimp Is Pregnant?

Simon711

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello all! So I have 10 g Walstad tank and one of the things in it were two sunkist orange shrimp. Just now I found one of them, the one i believed to be the male, dead in the powerhead grate. It is a super small power head so i'm not sure how it could have trapped him there. I tested my water and everything is at 0ppm. I put a piece of vegetable sleeve over the grate for now. I only have one shrimp left now and I'm wondering if I can tell if she is pregnant. I read that you can sometimes tell by if they have a saddle, but I am not sure. She does appear to have a white saddle like shape on her back. Do shrimp eggs only get fertilized once they are berried? Will I need to buy another shrimp?

Thank you in advance!

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The shrimp breeding process is basically this: female has a mature saddle, she molts and then goes “in season” sending out pheromones that males follow. Male catches female amd they mate, then the eggs are laid shortly after. The eggs pass through where the “sperm plug(?)” is located and this is how they become fertilized.

You will need to have a male present right after she molts or you won’t be getting any babies.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom