How To Tell If Betta Is Healthy?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Kaylee, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Kaylee New Member Member

I've had my betta for one year. He lives in a 5 gallon, filtered, and heated tank. To me, it does not appear that his looks have changed. He only stays at the top left of his tank near the filter. The only odd thing I have ever noticed was a tear in his fin which fell off. I removed the only "sharp" object (a plastic plant) from his tank that he could have caught it on. Are there ways I can tell if he is sick? What I should do if he is sick?

2. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

A picture?

3. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

The easiest way to make sure a fish(any fish) doesn't get sick is clean water and the right parameters. Can you test the water? Some betta's are just not as active as others. But clean water is the easiest way to prevent and for a lot of problems, easier cure.

4. Kaylee New Member Member

Attached Files:

5. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

What is your tank maintenance like?

6. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

He looks pretty good. Im a little concerned about the black edging on his fins. It can be the start of fin rot but I'm not the expert.

7. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I would probably do 50% waterchanges everyday for 5-7 days and see if he perks up and you start to see regrowth. If it starts to get worse you may need to medicate.

8. Kaylee New Member Member

I replace the filters once a month and do a 25% water change weekly. I also have a snail!

9. Kaylee New Member Member

Everyday?? That seems like a lot to me

10. Kaylee New Member Member

I'll look into that! Thank you.

11. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

If you replace the filter, you lose your cycle. Ammonia will start to grow, which contributes to bad water quality.

12. Kaylee New Member Member

The filter cartridges I buy say to replace every 3-4 weeks. When is the appropriate time to? Also I just took a picture right now for a better look at his fins.

Attached Files:

13. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Never replace your filters, until you have a new filter seeded. Your nitrogen cycle lives in your filter, not in your water. By throwing it away, you no longer have a cycled tank.

Daily water changes are the recommended course of treatment for healing damaged fins. I am on day 7 of water changes in my 10g. Just noticed fin rot on Friday, so have started Aquarium Salt treatments. I am doing 50% one day, 100% next to be able to remove the AQ salt and redose every other day. I am using Prime for stress coat (dechlorinator also) and my cycle is still intact.

Ohhh that's how they soak you for money. I have totally been there. Don't use the filter cartridges. Make your own. They last forever and you only have to rinse it out about once a month in dechlorinated water, and just put it right back in.

Look on YouTube for diy filter media ideas. I can link a couple great videos if you are interested.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2017
  14. Kaylee New Member Member

That would be great! I'll definitely get aquarium salt to help him. Sorry for all the questions but how long do I maintain the water changes? And when I do, I do 50% one day and 100% the next? Thanks so much for all the info!

15. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I would start with 50% water changes for 4-5 days first. Don't add any salt yet. The water changes might just be enough to heal his fins. You will start to notice some white or clear regrowth on the ends if it is working.

Here are the two videos that I think have the best info on filter media, and how to use it in an actual filter.

16. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Don't ever do 100% water change. if there's any difference between your tap water and the tank water you'll shock your fish. Only in dire emergencies you would.

17. Kaylee New Member Member

I'm thinking of getting new rocks that are easier to clean plus starting aquarium salt water treatments for my betta's fins. Could this call for doing an 100% water change?

18. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I was doing 100% waterchanges per the instructions for treating fin rot with aquarium salt. I didn't want to do them daily. so I decided to dose with salt, wait 24 hours, do 50% water change. Then wait 24 more hours and do 100% Waterchange, then re-dose salt. You can't keep adding salt without removing the water, it builds up and becomes toxic. I guess if I think about it, it was more like a 90% Waterchange. As much water as I could get out. I did a 50% change today, so tomorrow will be 90% and add salt. I have been underdosing the salt on purpose too. Just by a little. Just being overly cautious is all. Finnley's fins already look better. Especially after today's Waterchange. It's amazing.

19. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Right right, salt you have to be a little more paranoid about with water changes. Allie is right, I was just told for water changes it's never smart (or worth it) to do 100%. But that's also referring to a 30g tank.

20. Cycerath Valued Member Member

i agree with Alliesten, don't buy cartridge filters, Sponge filters are the best for most beginner to moderate tanks. you don't even need to buy new sponges for them that often, just have to squeeze them out in the old water when you do water changes. i clean the sponges roughly once a month unless they are obstructing flow.

the bacterial will still grow on the substrate in your tank so it's not completely uncycled. changing the filter media out or large water changes could cause mini cycles which can stress fish out. 100% water changes are unadvised unless special circumstances like soap got in your tank (i'm extra paranoid about soap on my hands.)

21. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

There is not a lot of bacteria in the substrate. Most of it is in the filter media, in this case the filter cartridge

22. Cycerath Valued Member Member

in my newest tank, i'm playing with the concept of using a double sponge filter as my only filter (the air pump driven kind). i've heard different levels of success on this but i'm monitoring it closely to see how it goes. worst case i'll just buy an aquaclear20 filter for it, they are well worth the investment.