How To Tell If Apistos Paired Up?

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by GlamCrab, Apr 18, 2017.

1. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

A few months ago i bought tiny baby apistos, they were labelled veijita but im expecting them to be macmasteri. I was also told they were a pair.

Anyways. When they were tiny they hung out.. They grew abit and started hating each other- they chased eachother the moment they saw eachother.

BUT now at 3.5cm, they stopped hating eachother and hang out togheter. I never imagined they'd just magically stop hating eachother.. Unless they paired up?

image.jpeg

2. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I see three there. Have any of them turned yellow?

They are still quite young. If you bought a group, did the seller try to say there would be a pair from the larger group? Often people buy a group of six to increase their chances, but Apistos are notorious for giving you single sex groups.

3. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

There are only two, the ┬┤third' is a reflection of the glass. Those two were the only ones in stock. None turned completly yellow.. But they both have a yellow-ish belly. One of the two has faint orange and yellow on his fins.. The other has completly clear fins, like when i first got them. The 'spikes' on their top fin is also different when they do flare..

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  4. NavigatorBlack

Honestly, from the blue facial spangling, I would expect them to mature into 2 males. They are very evenly matched in size, and females of "mcmasteri group" Apistogramma are smaller. Also, both veijita and mcmasteri females get more black markings on the face than I see there, and black ventrals with their yellow overall bodies.
    There is still hope for a pair because they are young, but I would not be too optimistic. I would be delighted for you if I am wrong! I hope so.

5. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

True, i hadnt really planned to breed then as they live in a community tank. But i thought a pair would be nice. Looking back at pictures of them.. I found this one:
    image.jpeg
    Thats the most colored any of them got. That happened during feeding once.. It faded back to 'normal' after awhile

6. NavigatorBlack

That is a female. See the yellow over-all, and the black eye stripe going down at an angle!
    Whew. I always want people to have pairs, I guess because I'm a fish breeder and my mind works that way. I have raised fry to adults from mcmasteri, veijita, hongsloi and hoignei from that group, and they are spectacular parents.
    They are well worth breeding, as it is a great show. If they are in that Apisto group though, you won't have to worry about fry unless your water is quite soft. They can spawn in harder water, but for results, you need a low mineral level.

7. OP
    OP
    GlamCrab

oh, wow. for some reason i thought that one was male. since it showed more color and was the more aggresive of the two/the one who started chasing the other. it also comes out more.. the other is more illusive and hides from the camera. xD but i managed to get a few pictures just now. since im back home
    image.jpeg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice