How To Tell If Adf’s Are Doing Well? & Feeding Concerns

Lex1

Reaction score
Two days ago a friend of mine went and got 3 ADF for her tank. The poor things were being terrorized by her other aggressive fish and the store they came from wouldn’t take them back without something wrong with them. I offered to take them before they were killed so I now have the 3 ADF and my betta in a 10 gallon.

I am new to keeping frogs and was not planning on getting any so I don’t know much about them. I don’t know what their normal activity looks like so I’m not sure what thriving frogs looks like. What are good/bad signs in their behavior? Also what’s the best way to feed them with sinking pellets? Right now I’m just putting in way more than I should be around them and hoping they can get it out of the gravel. I don’t even know if they are eating it. They are trying I just can’t tell if they are getting it out.

I went and got them a nice big plant to make sure they would feel safe from Angus (my betta). Thankfully though the frogs and Angus completely ignore each other. I wasn’t planning on frogs but now that I have them I’m enjoying them
IMG_1536.JPG

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Good questions, all!
Bettas and african dwarf frog is always a hot topic. My best advice is to keep any eye out, and have a separation plan if any problems. Some have aggressive bettas that go after frog limbs, some have passive betts that get torn up by frogs that think their fins are food. I’m not a betta pro but I’ve heard it can all be fine, until it’s not.
African dwarf frog are confusing beasts. Spending too much time at the surface is supposedly bad, but most of us have had one or more that does that now and then for some time.
Mine don’t touch pellets, so I can’t help u much there. I have mine in a tank w many shrimps and endlers, so I mostly feed by hand (by stick). Frozen bloodworms are good for that. 3-6 bloodworm per day is fine for most frogs. Mysis and brine shrimp also good options. Some also feed bits of frozen shrimp from grocery store.
The most common problem I see is underweight frogs. The sides of their bellies should be round, and even bulge up on their backs a bid, like a backwards saddle.
Can u share pics?

Lex1

Reaction score
IMG_1545.JPG

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

I’m worried about their weight now. I only have one frog that looks like the proper weight. My other two are much smaller and skinnier. They are a lot skinnier than they look in the pics. I’m going to go get the food you suggest to see if they are more interested than the pellets.

I do have another 6.5 empty gallon tank on stand by if anything gets bad between the betta and frogs. I just rather keep them together because I work a lot and it’s a lot easier for me to keep up with one tank. I would also have to go buy more gravel and decorations and everything that goes with it. For the life of me I couldn’t get the smaller tank filtered either so that’s going to be my last resort. Fingers cross everyone stays peaceful!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom