How To Tell How Much Salt To Put In My Aquarium Without Hydrometer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakers20

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a Brackish Water aquarium and my hydrometer doesn’t work. I need to know how much salt to add to my aquarium to make it around 1.01-1.015 salinity. My aquarium is 29 gallons. Thanks!

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a Brackish Water aquarium and my hydrometer doesn’t work. I need to know how much salt to add to my aquarium to make it around 1.01-1.015 salinity. My aquarium is 29 gallons. Thanks!
Get a refractometer and be done with it. Far more accurate than a Hydrometer and not significantly expensive anymore either.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your aquarium is 29 gallons but what’s your actual water volume? Take into account your substrate, plants, decor etc. For example my 29 actually has 22 gallons of water in it. Using 1 cup/5 gallons water should get you to 1.01-1.015 but, you need to get a meter because water evaporates, salt doesn’t. @Jesterrace is right.

Jakers20

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don’t have too many decorations so I would guess 28-27 gallons. I’m probably going to get a refractometer, thanks

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don’t have too many decorations so I would guess 28-27 gallons. I’m probably going to get a refractometer, thanks
Perfect. Remember the most important part, post pictures of your setup! Fishlore loves pics!

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You won't regret it. A refractometer will give you very accurate salinity measurements with minimal hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 58 64.4%

Top Bottom