How To Tell Gender in Guppies

1. OT4 Member Member

I just bought 6 guppies from a pet store, and the man said they were males. Once I brought them home, I started having doubts. I think most are male, but a few might be female. Please help. I've looked online on how to tell the difference, but I just cant do it well.

2. Fishguy18 Initiate Member

Look at their back under fin... The makes it pointier and the female has a more fanned out tail

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Males have a small body, huge tail fin. Usually very colorful!
    male-guppy2.jpg

Where as females are a lot bigger than the males and don't have big fancy tails. Little to no coloration of the tail too!
    62364260.DlmpoMRh.IMG_072801.jpg

If you have some females, does it seem like any of the guppies are chasing the others around? Or displaying to them?

4. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Hi there :)

I have just replied with the same info on your other thread. It is best to only ask on one thread to avoid getting the same answer from different people. Be patient and you will get answers.xx

5. OT4 Member Member

Sorry XD

6. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Hope everything worked out? Unwanted females can either lead to stressed fish or lots of fry! I've let my fry just live in tank and I still have about 4 or 5 still swimming around in there! Its been about 2 weeks so I think they are smart enough now to stay away from the parents

7. OT4 Member Member

Yeah, I manages to sort them. I had 4 males and 2 females. Thanks.
    Theres another problem, the fins on some on my males are messed up. I asked about it on another post I did called final checklist, it's on the second page, if you'd please take a look.