How To Take Care Of Fry?

Discussion in 'Platy' started by HaileStorm, Apr 10, 2018.

1. HaileStorm

HaileStormValued MemberMember

My Platy gave birth today and I was able to salvage a few of them and move them over from my community to my only spare aquarium, a 2.6g.

I did what was suggested to me in a different thread but I do have a few remaining questions:

1. How much light do they need? 10hrs okay or should be less?

2. I removed the substrate since it was loose substrate (pebbles). Some were hiding underneath and I was afraid they'd get stuck. I put in a small display with a cave so they have something to hide in. Did I do the right thing?

3. Should I keep the aquarium covered?

4. I was suggested to feed boiled egg yolk but they seem to get scared of it and it makes the water really cloudy, any alternative food for them?

I have the following at hand:

- Azoo Plus Tropical Micro Pellet
    - Hikari Algae Wafers
    - Generic betta food (forgot the brand)

Will Hikari algae wafers work?

5. Is there any way I can keep them in my community tank? It's a 23g stocked with:

- Cardinal Tetra
    - Rummy Nose
    - Harlequin Rasbora
    - Sterbai Coydora
    - Otto
    - Betta

Or maybe I can buy some betta separation box and put them in there?

Sorry for flooding you guys with so many questions, it's my first time to take care of fish fry. Looking forward to as much help as possible.

Thank you in advance!
    638fb61b408e945f4a9f28c9785472e7.jpg

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Egg yolk is mainly meant for egg laying fish fry (like danios, tetras etc). Livebearer fry can and will eat crushed flakes and pellets. If you plan to raise more fry in the future, I'd always have a micro worm culture on hand, very cheap and easy to maintain. My starter colony was only 4$ and I bought it a good 5+ years ago and it's still going.

They only need enough light to eat, but I'd turn it on when all the other tanks are turned on.

Taking out the gravel was a good idea, it will make cleaning and feeding easier for you. I'd personally toss in plants, fake or real, in favor of the cave. They prefer dense hiding places over caves.

The tank they are in now is too small for a proper grow-out tank. I keep my fry in no less than a 10gal and up to a 29gal, depending on their size. You will need to be doing frequent water changes, I think daily 50% is a good idea, especially if the tank is not cycled.

I would not place them with other fish, most of not all will get eaten. Putting them in breeder baskets within the tank will only stunt their growth. A grow-out tank is ideal.

3. OP
    OP
    HaileStorm

Man, am I glad to hear this! I thought I had to keep feeding them egg yolk which made the tank real dirty... will start feeding them crushed flakes. The worms I dont really have access to... and to be honest, they really gross me out.

Should I clean the filter out due to the egg yolk? And is there anyway to get it out of the system?

I'm not sure if the tank is cycled but I did a 60% water change earlier due to cloudiness from removing the substrate and another 50% awhile after feeding the yolk.

Is 10hrs of light okay? I have the timer set to come on at 630pm and turn off at 430am.

Oh and should I keep the tank covered up top? Im afraid they'll jump out.

4. Demeter

All takes should have a cover, but I doubt the tiny fry will jump out. The lighting period sounds good to me and you can certainly clean out the filter, but the best way to remove all the yolk is through water changes.

If you just filled the tank up then added the fry then the tank is not cycled. Read up on the Nitrogen Cycle if you are unsure. I think just doing daily water changes will keep things in order, even if the tank isn't cycled.

5. OP
    OP
    HaileStorm

Okay, I will leave the lighting as it is. Thanks!

I setup this tank because I needed a quarantine for two cories i purchased. I used the ff to set it up:

1. My estsblished tanks spare filter.
    2. Seeded that with the filter media of my established community..
    3. Water from my established tank.

I also treat with prime during water chages.

Hikari wafers no good for fry?

6. Demeter

Ahh ok then you should be alright for the cycle.

The wafers are good for fry, but they need to be trained to eat it. They won't eat it right off the bat, once they realize it's food they should start pecking at it. Only use a tiny portion of a wafer and not the entire thing. Always remove the uneaten portion after a few hours.

7. OP
    OP
    HaileStorm

I see, okay thank you so much for your help!

Im truly hoping to see these guys grow up! I know they were put under a lot of stress today, I just hope they'll get settled in an grow up fast.

I'll still do maybe a 25% water change every other day to be sure the water parameters dont crash. Just to be on the safe side. It'll break my son's heart if they die.

By the way, im sure there are still some left in my community. Should I fish them out too or just leave them there in case sometging goes wrong with the fry tank?

8. Demeter

I'd leave them be, you can only house so many of them in a nano tank anyways. If the main tank is heavily planted some may survive.

9. OP
    OP
    HaileStorm

Okay great, thank you so much!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice