How to take care of Blue ram fry?

1. TreBall13 Initiate Member

I have a breeding pair of blue rams in my 29 gallon tank. They have laid eggs 1 time already. The rams were fantastic parents and all the fry became free swimming. Unfortunately I had to go on vacation a week after they laid the eggs. When I got back all the fry were gone. I have a school of 7 neon tetras and 4 neon rainbowfish. I have set up a grow out tank for next time. I just need to know how to take care of the fry and how and when to transfer them to the grow out tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Tonia Well Known Member Member

I would let mom and dad take care of the babies until they are free swimming. Rams can be excellent parents and will guard their eggs and babies for as long as they can. Once the fry are free swimming, you may want to consider carefully catching as many as possible. I don't like to have them entirely out of water, so I use a net and clean/ soap free plastic container to get them to safety. Make sure you take the time to acclimate the babies to the new tank.

Remember, not everyone from your batch of fry will make it, but even a few survivors is a great job by you.