How To Take Care Of A Blue Ringneck Parrot. Question

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Colt Frost, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Colt Frost

Colt Frost Well Known Member Member

I was thinking about getting one of these, because I have a giant 4 1/2-5 foot tall bird cage sitting in storage. How much would I have to hold him? Would he have to get used to me before I held him? Are they social? What kind of food do they eat? What temperatures do they like? What's their temperament? What kinds of sicknesses are they susceptible to? How often would I have to take it into the vet for check-ups? Do they like flying a lot? How big of a cage do they need?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can get hand raised birds that are already well socialized. Highly recommend this.

They are social, and you would be his companion - you'd need to spend a lot of time with him.

Do a bit of research on their diets - fresh fruit and veggies with a good stable pellet is recommended, with some seed as a treat.

I would clip his wings so he can't fly - flying around the house is a good way to get hurt, and a too risky - if he got outside, he'd easily be disoriented and you may not be able to get him back.

Your cage would likely be fine, but he'll need lots of stimulation while in it - multiple toys each day, changed out and moved around often.

Too many diseases and issues to put into a post. Do research. This isn't the type of pet that we can give you all you need to know in a nice, neat post. Do your own research.

Do a lot of research on these birds (outside of this forum). Birds a real commitment because they form a bond with you. You are their only. If you can't commit to spending multiple hours a day with them, this bird isn't for you. They also live a long time, so you need to be committed to doing this every day for at least a decade.

I've had my cockatoo for 11.5 years and he is my child. I love him to death, I spend hours with him daily, I constantly make and buy new toys for him. I'll (hopefully) have him for the next 3-5 decades. It's a commitment, and very rewarding for me, but I would not recommend them to most people.

You could always consider a bird with less of a commitment, like parakeets (you could keep two so you wouldn't have to hold them), finches, parrotlets, canaries, etc.

3. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

It was just a thought, but yeah I think I changed my mind lol. I might try it later in life but for right now no. Thank you for your response! :) I (my parents) had a Cockatiel when I was young. He was a good bird.

4. TexasDomer

Sounds like you made the right decision! These are not pets to get on a whim.

5. a

alexandramew New Member Member

As an owner of one I can say they are a really lovely and rewarding pet to own.
    If you do reconsider I am happy to answer all of your questions!
    It can seem a little daunting to look at it in this way, but just imagine if you asked the same about a dog and response, then consider what having a dog actually looks like.
    I personally find my fish harder to look after and figure out, but maybe that's just me.

6. TexasDomer

Oh I don't think my bird is hard work - it doesn't seem like work, as I enjoy spending time with him, making toys, and looking after him. But it does take time.

7. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

So I have a cage that is 4.5-5 feet tall, 2.5-3 feet across the front and about 1.5-2 feet front to back. Would this be enough for 2-3 budgies, a long with letting them out everyday? I don’t think I’ll be getting them any time soon but I was just wondering if it would be big enough.

8. TexasDomer

Yes, that should be plenty big. If you wanted something that you didn't need to let out, I'd just keep something like finches or canaries.

9. a

alexandramew New Member Member

Just something to note with your cage as well, check how much room there is between the bars.
    If it's too wide you may have a problem with some escapees, keeping in mind how tiny birds are under their feathers :)
    But that sounds like a good idea for the future.

10. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

Ok, I guessed on those measurements, because I've never actually measured it. The actual measurements are 42 inches tall, 32 inches across the front, and 24 inches front to back.

11. TexasDomer

You should measure bar width and bar spacing too.

12. CraniumRex

CraniumRex Well Known Member Member

I have a Timneh African grey and she is my baby. I have had her for 15 years and she makes me laugh every day. They are challenging wonderful funny rewarding pets.

Larger parrots in particular can be likened to being as clever as a four year old child with the emotional maturity of a toddler lol. They aren’t work but they are a very big commitment. They can have very different temperament traits so as Texasdomer has said, research a LOT.

Budgies are awesome birds but like fish, you can’t guarantee they will like each other. A cage that size, provided bar spacing is small enough, would provide enough space for them to have their own. Do not house males with females. You want to discourage any breeding behaviour (primarily with light - parrots need 12 hours solid sleep and enough darkness to ensure they don’t think it’s breeding time). Females can get egg bound and baby budgies while adorable are best left to breeders.

Oh. And parrots are MESSY. Walk softly and carry a dust buster.

13. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

The bars are 1/4 inch thick. And they are each 1 inch apart

14. CraniumRex

Way too big for budgies I’m afraid. That cage bar spacing would suit only much larger parrots. I’d hesitate even to put my Grey in with that bar spacing. That is cockatoo or macaw territory as far as cages go.

You need probably ½” for budgies. The issues is not only them escaping or getting their heads stuck, but parrots like to climb and use the cage bars to do it. The 1” is just too far for their feet and beaks to navigate I’m afraid.

15. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

Could I put wire around the cage to prevent escaping?

16. CraniumRex

I personally wouldn’t. If you were to do that you shouldn’t use galvanized or anything with zinc. Many aviaries are made that way but I wouldn’t do it. Budgies aren’t aggressive chewers so your call but ...

Again the issue isn’t just about escape. They need to climb and unless you secured the wire everywhere it could be both hazardous and still not let them climb. Not sure how you would do it affordably and safely.

17. TexasDomer

Seems more risky than just getting an appropriate cage. You could always sell yours and use that money to buy an appropriate one.

18. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

Ok so I haven't been on this thread in a while, and I've been looking at cockatoos. Especially Goffins Cockatoos. Would my cage be appropriate for the time that it was in the cage? I'm thinking I would let it out in the morning and put it to bed at night of course. And then get it a *bunch* of toys. Like braided and knotted ropes, brightly colored arylic toys, a specialized "foraging toy" which is basically a wheel with food/treats in it that it would have to do a little puzzle to open, and a bell or two, and mirror, some branches and pieces of wood, and a little swing, and then some play stands around the house. Of course this more than likely wouldn't happen for 5-10 years. And whats a good brand of seed/pellet? I would feed 60% seed/pellet and then 40% fresh fruit and veggies everyday, most likely spinach, Kale, apple, banana, orange, romaine lettuce, and some other fruits or veggies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice