How to switch tank?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by zjh828266, Dec 27, 2012.

1. z

zjh828266 Valued Member Member

I have a 10 gallon fish tank that I have fish in, and one 30 gallon empty fish tank. I want to move my fish from my 10 gallon tank to my 30 gallon new tank, but how?

2. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

Just transfer the filter media and substrate over, and you'll be good. Monitor test kit readings in the case of a mini-cycle.

Oh, and :sign0016: to Fishlore!;)

3. OP
    OP
    z

thx! what is mini cycle and can I transfer the fish also or I need to wait?

4. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

I see you have not filled out your aquarium profile information, please do so. Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? (select underlined words to find out more.) This is the most crucial piece of knowledge to possess in the hobby.

Just be sure to move over the filter media and sand; if you do this the tank is ready to go and fish can be added immediately!

5. OP
    OP
    z

but can the fish handle it? It is like a 100% water change for them...

6. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

You can transfer the water too.

Being that it is a 30Gal, it would be like doing a 60%ish water change which wouldn't hurt the fish or beneficial bacteria provided you don't rinse any of it with tap water and condition the new water.

All in all, transfer everything as mentioned above, top off with new conditioned water, enjoy new setup.

Welcome to Fishlore!
    Outlaw

7. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

That's pretty much it....transfer everything over. If the 10g filter will fit, run it with the new filter for a month.

8. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

You've gotten good advice so far. Since the tank is so small, fill the new half way with dechlorinated water, and transfer the fish into the new tank, after you are done doing that, all you need to do is poor the water from your 10g into the new 30 tank, and add more dechlorinated water to fill it. After that, just place the filter into the new tank and you should be good to go as long as you don't add any new fish for a while. If your filter isn't meant to filter 30 gallons, I would suggest getting a new one that can handle the gallons, placing the knew one, running at the same time as the old one, for about a month to allow the beneficial bacteria to colonize in the new filter, after which (a month or so) you can remove the old filter and the new one should be fine... you could also transfer the media from the old filter into the new one, and that should do the same thing. :)

9. grfresconero

grfresconero Valued Member Member

Hi ,i switched my fry gurrami from my 10-15 liter tanks total 5g to a 120 lt=30g using the same method above. Important what kind fish do you intend to transfer ? Are they sensitive variety?

10. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

Agree with what has been said so far. One additional point, temperature match the new water to the old. It would be a good idea, if you do not get it exact, to acclimate the fish to the new tank as you would when first bringing them home - float them for a half hour or so to equalize the temp gradually.

Good Luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice