How To Switch From Hob To Canister Filter?

Woodsman27
What are some of the things I need to do to switch over from an hob filter to a canister filter?

jacob thompson
Put the hang on back filter cartrage in the new candidate filter below all the other biofilter material, make sure to remove the carbon, get all your other filter media in the canister and then set it up. The old cartrage will seed the rest of the biofiltration media.

Woodsman27
Nice thanks!

Addictive
Personally I'd just run them both at least for awhile to give your canister a chance to grow it's biological filtration. Maybe some more info about the equipment and stocking would be helpful to know.

Woodsman27
37 gallon tall current filter a marineland penguin 200 upgrading to a marineland c220 canister. Stocked as follows. Black comet, 2 fantails, 2 black moor's. I also have a long air stone and 2 other bubbling decorations.

Jocelyn Adelman
With that many goldies in a 37 I would leave both running at all times, you’ll need the extra filtration.

That being said, if you were to have just the canister, adding the contents of current hob into canister or running both for 3 weeks works out about the same

Islandvic
Pauly27, what did you end up doing?

My recommendation is to keep both running!

I have a 75 gallon Freshwater community fish only tank. I originally had an AQ110 and AQ70 HOB's on it.

Then I came across a new Hydor 600 canister for 50% off from one the larger online pet supply websites. I couldn't pass it up, so I bought it.

I am running the canister along with both HOB's!

My logic for doing so is this: if I get another tank, I can take one or both of the AQ's off and throw it on the new tank, and be instantly cycled.

Woodsman27
HI islandvic!
I ended up just having the canister because I didnt want to cut a hole in the top of the tank... wow did I end up going on a wild goose chase tring to find one that fits (which I still have not) my plans were for a glass top and a marineland led light bar but no such luck.

Thunder_o_b
I run canisters and HOB on all of our aquariums.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Huskersfan75
Replies
Views
Fishstic
Replies
Views