How To Stop My Betta From Biting His Fins?

1. honeytype Initiate Member

My betta is a twin tail halfmoon with tail fins almost twice the length of his body. They're very pretty, but he sometimes has a hard time swimming so he bites the ends of his fins off ;-; he doesnt seem to be in pain after he does it but im just worried and i want to know if theres any way to stop him :^(
  2. KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Unfortunately, there is no way to stop him from biting if has wants to bite them off (due to the size of his tail, and not stress from water quality in general).

However, the best thing you can do is to make sure his water is pristine to ensure he doesn't get an infection from biting. Maybe provide him some of those betta hammocks for him to take a break if he needs one

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. honeytype Initiate Member

okay thank you so much! :^) ill keep his water as clean as i can and ill look into getting him something like that! he has tons of plants to rest on currently but i want the best for him :^)
  4. jl_1005 Member Member

It's usually stress related, make sure he has enough room and clean water :)

5. honeytype Initiate Member

well hes in a 10 gallon and theres a filter and i recently did a water change so room and clean water wouldn't be issues i dont think :^/ he just has fins that are too long and drag him down i guess
  6. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

What are your tank's water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?
    Does he seem to struggle against the current of the filter? If yes what kind of filter is it?
  7. honeytype Initiate Member

unfortunately i dont have a test kit at the moment and i dont know when ill be able to get one :^/ but he doesn't struggle against the filter at all

8. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Did you do anything to cycle the tank?
  9. honeytype Initiate Member

i only really added water conditioner and left the tank running for two days before putting him in :^/ (im kind of inexperienced, sorry. this is my first time trying to properly care for a fish)
  10. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

It's okay we all started from somewhere. :) It sounds like your fish may be biting his fins due to the tank not being cycled. I would highly recommend getting the API freshwater liquid water test, you can find it cheaper on amazon if it's too expensive in the stores. You should be able to click these words: Nitrogen Cycle which will help you learn how to cycle a tank. You are now doing a fish-in cycle so I would suggest getting a bacteria supplement such as stabilty and water conditioner like prime to make it easier on your fish.

11. honeytype Initiate Member

okay thank you so much!! :^) ill try to get the money to buy a tester and some supplement! even if he is just biting his fins due to their length you can never be too safe! thanks again for the help!!
  12. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Your welcome, and feel free to ask any questions when you have them. I hope everything goes well with your betta.
  13. Linzlion Initiate Member

Another thing you might want to invest in for your Betta is a heater. They're tropical and like temps around 76-78°F. They also love plants, so adding some places for him to hide and swim through might help his stress levels. Just be sure not to overcrowd with decor. He'll be living the good life once you get the hang of it! Good luck!
  14. honeytype Initiate Member

he has a heater and plenty of plants for him to hide in but still plenty of swimming space :^)
  15. Shadow2331 Member Member

If you think ur betta is getting tired of dragging his fin, then it would be better if you provide lots of resting places for your betta,
  16. Linzlion Initiate Member

Then you're doing better than you think :) hopefully he feels better soon!
  17. honeytype Initiate Member

im buying some leaf that suctions to the glass soon and i think that will be an okay resting spot
  18. Shadow2331 Member Member

yahh that would be perfect :)