Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

How To Stop Buying Stuff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Donovan Jones, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

I'm giving up buying unnecessary fish stuff for Lent and I'm already having trouble lol. The problem is I keep saying to myself that this plant or that plant would look great and grow fast, only to get rid of it a week later. I've probably wasted upwards of 500 dollars in the past 4 months. As a high school student working part time, this is terrible. I've tried appealing to my OCD tendencies and making rules of what to get, but I can't seem to make that work. How do I stop? Please I'm out of control lol. I'll be broke 24/7 if I don't get this under control.
    Thanks in advance! Hopefully this helps others too!

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Being broke is probably the best way to stop buying fish stuff. Buy a race car and I guarantee you will never have any money for fish. Well no money for anything actually.

3. Magicpenny75Valued MemberMember

Start paying bills lol... Sorry that's the mom in me coming out. Seriously though, if you have a job and you are responsible, enjoy that you have the disposable income to do it for now. Or put it towards setting up a tank for one of your teachers :) Or go back and set one up for your 5th grade teacher :)

4. midnaWell Known MemberMember

let me know when you figure it out

5. NappersValued MemberMember

6. GuanchyWell Known MemberMember

more than 5 years into this hobby and im still trying to figure that out lol i cant fit one more plant in my 10g nano yet i alwaus go to the store and feel like i have to buy more plants for it and squeeze it in every corner

7. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

I'm not sure how it's even possible to so thoroughly destroy a live plant in only one week that it needs to be thrown away. Are you using a blowtorch on them? My new plants usually take a few weeks to "melt", as the common term seems to be used, and then they typically come back with strong new growth. It would take me months to decide that a plant was well and truly toast.

But don't sweat it. You are, I presume, living in your parents' home? Once you have your own place, and your own bills to pay, a man named Charles Darwin will guarantee that you will either learn to be thrifty...or you will be eaten. :)

8. Ohio MarkWell Known MemberMember

A budget would be helpful, but it does take self-discipline, as I know personally. I keep a list of what I make and what I spend. It took some getting used to but once I had a solid idea of income & outcome, I knew what I could afford. I keep two spending accounts -- one for the predictable expenses in life, the other for "casual" spending. When I am paid (every fortnight) I refill my casual spending account. Once that is gone -- it's gone till the next paycheck. Like i said, it takes discipline to get used to, but I really like knowing I can afford to spend on my hobby without breaking the bank or running low on living expenses. It's a marriage saver, too, incidentally.... but you don't have that to worry about. Yet. :)

9. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

When I lived at home I "paid" my parents "rent" for living there. They just put it in a savings account. Helped wonders towards the down payment on my house.

10. DonthemonValued MemberMember

Yes, I bought a boat, that helps too!

11. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Just add up all the money you've spent on fish, tanks, and equipment. Then think of everything else you could do with that amount of money

12. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Look at the big picture. Do you want more fish stuff that's going to get wasted, or save the money for a future expense, like that $200 polo shirt you always wanted. The bigger picture, buddy. I hope this was enlightening.

13. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

The plants don't die, I just spend too much time obsessing and change my mind. Im also very impatient, which is a bad quality to have in this hobby, I know. I think I need consequences for myself with a third party to enforce.
    @Magicpenny75 I pay gas for my car, cell phone, my portion of insurance, and clothes. Yet somehow, I still manage to have extra money lol.
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll let you know when I either break or go insane lol. There is one thing left I need to get for some daphnia, and I have to go to my lfs to get it, so pray for me. I shall be tested...it's for a bleed valve to keep them from turning into lil kites because the bubbler is too powerful.

14. CleaHelenaValued MemberMember

15. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

So simple, and yet so hard.
    What is making me feel better is that I kicked my video gaming problem. Been clean for a month now lol. If I can do that, i can do this...I think.

16. CleaHelenaValued MemberMember

Piece of cake homey. Just know what you are going to get ahead of time and stick to the plan. Grocery stores are my weakness.

17. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

I have to go past the tanks too. I'll just do what I do in haunted house rides...cover my eyes and repeat there's no place like home over and over

18. lilabug4545Well Known MemberMember

Oh my gosh. If you can figure out the secret to this, you would be god-like. Just this week, I bought a 10, and two 20 longs because of the DPG sale! Ack!

19. LizPNew MemberMember

I have the same problem lol. I want to buy fish stuff on Amazon and when I run into Walmart and I'm an adult with a full time job. I guess I have to delete my Amazon and try not to go in the fish isles at stores lol. It could be worse things your addicted to. Good luck to you.

20. SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

Self control and a spouse who is all about budgeting for things that pay back, such as cattle another farm another tractor... Lol when he sits down and goes over long term plans I feel a bit dumb to be spending our mutually earned money on fish... But.. I still do some I just try to keep it under a certain dollar amount every month!!