How to stop betta tail biting

Gr198868

Ive had my betta for maybe 3 ish months? He started out in a 2.5 gallon tank, but he kept on biting his fins, so I upgraded to a 3.5 gallon tank in hopes that he was doing it because the tank was too small, and it was good for a week or so but then he started biting them again, ive been doing biweekly water changes and ive put some java fern in there in hopes that maybe the water quality wasnt good enough and that would fix it but he keeps on doing it, I tried keeping the light off all day in case maybe he didnt like the light but that didn't work either, I've run out of ideas whats a good solution, the tank is cycled and it has a heater but its off right now because the tank stays at 76 to 78 degree since its warm out

Betta'sAnonymous

Gr198868 said:
Ive had my betta for maybe 3 ish months? He started out in a 2.5 gallon tank, but he kept on biting his fins, so I upgraded to a 3.5 gallon tank in hopes that he was doing it because the tank was too small, and it was good for a week or so but then he started biting them again, ive been doing biweekly water changes and ive put some java fern in there in hopes that maybe the water quality wasnt good enough and that would fix it but he keeps on doing it, I tried keeping the light off all day in case maybe he didnt like the light but that didn't work either, I've run out of ideas whats a good solution, the tank is cycled and it has a heater but its off right now because the tank stays at 76 to 78 degree since its warm out
I threw a bunch of plants in my tank to try and at least slow down my betta on his fin biting. I also tend to rearrange things a bit every 2-3 weeks. Seems to at least have slowed him down a bit on the biting.

Ghelfaire

Bettas get bored easily. Try interacting with your fish more often. Adding moss balls or a ping pong ball for it to push around might help. A snail as a tankmate might help them too. Places to hide are a must so more plants or caves will help as well. Honestly 5g is the general minimum for bettas and they thrive in 10g but 3.5 is still doable.

Gr198868

Ghelfaire said:
Bettas get bored easily. Try interacting with your fish more often. Adding moss balls or a ping pong ball for it to push around might help. A snail as a tankmate might help them too. Places to hide are a must so more plants or caves will help as well. Honestly 5g is the general minimum for bettas and they thrive in 10g but 3.5 is still doable.
I couldnt find a ping pong ball but I found a fishing float thingy, I was hoping the java fern would grow and fill it in, he also has a little cave but I dont see im going in it a lot, hopefully it works. I might get a snail too

Gr198868

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I threw a bunch of plants in my tank to try and at least slow down my betta on his fin biting. I also tend to rearrange things a bit every 2-3 weeks. Seems to at least have slowed him down a bit on the biting.
I rearranged everything just now, fingers crossed it helps thanks for the advice!

Betta'sAnonymous

Gr198868 said:
I rearranged everything just now, fingers crossed it helps thanks for the advice!
It is a place to start at least :)

Top Bottom