how to stock a quarentine tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by allaboutfish, Dec 26, 2012.

1. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

So I have a bunch of fish to buy and quarantine and I was wondering how y'all stock your quarantine so that they're not overstocked? The fish on my list to buy are
    5-cpds
    8-pygmy corys
    6-female platies
    3-cherry barbs
    4-panda corys
    3-turquoise rainbows
    Which of these could go together starting with the platies? I'd like to quarantine atleast 2 groups at a time.

2. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

I thought it was best to do one group at a time :;dk That way you eliminate the variables if there's a problem.

3. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

The reason fish are quarantined is to observe them, and treat them if ill.

By mixing your stock into one tank, you risk introducing any disease parasite to fish that may not have had any problems.

e.g. if you put your CPDs in with the platies, and one of the CPDs is ill, you risk infecting the platies that weren't ill to start with.

Unless the fish are coming from the same tank, I would not group them in QT. Such that if your LFS has its pandas with the CPDs, you could put these in the same QT as they have all been exposed to each other.

Too, a little patience with stocking will pay dividends, allowing your bacteria colony to keep up with the bio-load as it increases.

4. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

But aren't most fish stores ran on a central filtration system so all fish in the store are exposed to the diseases?

5. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I can't speak for all or 'most' fish stores. Certainly some do run a central, or a few shared filtration systems, so yes, in theory all tanks being served by that system would be affected. Which is another reason to buy separately.

What if you bought all your fish above, all run off a central filtration system, and all passed because of a columnaris outbreak? If you buy a few fish at a time, your exposure is minimal.

It's up to you, but if it were me, I would stagger the purchasing of the fish, one because of bio-load, two because of the risk of 'wasting' money, three, QT is stressful enough, having to deal with tank mates may not be the best for new fish. QT also gives you a chance to ensure the fish are eating, healthy and strong.... Having tank-mates in QT may reduce the survival rate. That's just me though.

Also, your fish will (should) be with you for years, what's another couple of weeks in stocking slowly........

6. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Ok I'll do individual groups. Thanks for the advice.

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I group fish together for quarantine that will be going in the same tank. I would do one group at a time for the larger, and combine 2 small groups.

8. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Same, if I get them all from the same source then I house them together for QT. Yes, there's always a chance for some freaky fish plague, but there's always a chance for any kind of freak event. Assuming you purchase from a reputable source the risk is already minimized greatly. Central systems are pretty common especially in the larger farm type places.

9. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Ok cool. Sounds like a plan. Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice