How To Stock - 29 Gallon

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I'm cycling my 29 Gallon tank and there's so many options for what to put in it. So far I'm liking Cardinal Tetras, Black Skirt Tetras, Lemon Tetras, Bronze Cories, German Blue Rams, and I need a good center piece fish. I tossed around the idea of a Dwarf Gourami, an Angelfish or a Betta but I'm just not sure. I've had Bettas before in a 5 gallon but I don't know if I want another. Any suggestions for how to stock a 29 gallon? Feel free to add any other options you think I should consider. I know I can't have all those different Tetras, but those are some that I'm liking right now.

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't want Plecos, I'm just not a fan of them for some reason. I thought the DG liked warm water? Is it possible to do a DG or a Betta with the warm water option?

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't see anything with an angel as long as your tank is tall!! I'd do this:
x1 angelfish
x3 guppies
x10 black skirt tetras/silvertip/bloodfin/lemon/ Priscilla
x6 cories (maybe????)
x3 nerite snails

GBR are extremely sensitive and may die quickly...

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
RainBetta said:
I don't see anything with an angel as long as your tank is tall!! I'd do this:
x1 angelfish
x3 guppies
x10 black skirt tetras/silvertip/bloodfin/lemon/ Priscilla
x6 cories (maybe????)
x3 nerite snails

GBR are extremely sensitive and may die quickly...

My tank is 30x12x18. So longer than it is tall

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I didn't say you couldn't do an angel, I just said I would prefer not to.
Black Skirts won't be compatible with an angelfish. They need colder water than the angel.

I listed good stockings for you Feel free to choose anything you'd like, it doesn't matter what you choose!

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fanatic said:
Black Skirts won't be compatible with an angelfish. They need colder water than the angel.

I listed good stockings for you Feel free to choose anything you'd like, it doesn't matter what you choose!
Oh! I didn't know about the black skirts!

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fanatic said:

I think I'm going to steer away from the angel and get a bigger tank in the future to consider one. Do you have suggestions about a betta?

RainBetta said:
Oh! I didn't know about the black skirts!
I didn't either! I'm making a list right now to compare temperatures and hardness of the ones I'm interested in.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ValerieAdams said:
I think I'm going to steer away from the angel and get a bigger tank in the future to consider one. Do you have suggestions about a betta?
I wouldn't put a betta in the mix with those fish, they might nip him or the other way around.
Bettas limit stocking because of their behavior. You may be able to do a betta with cories and snails though, that's not a problem.

RainBetta said:
Yeah! I kept my betta no problem with bloodfin tetras and Silvertip tetras! Harlequin rasboras, celestial pearl danios, and Cardinals are also potential options
I highly do not recommend this to the OP. That is not a good mixture, as some of those fish aren't even temperature compatible with bettas.
Don't mix schooling fish with bettas as the betta can become overwhelmed by the large amount of fish surrounding him and possibly become aggressive with them.

It's not recommended to do fish that are larger than bettas because they will become aggressive, or fish that are significantly smaller.

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fanatic said:
I wouldn't put a betta in the mix with those fish, they might nip him or the other way around.
Bettas limit stocking because of their behavior. You may be able to do a betta with cories and snails though, that's not a problem.

I highly do not recommend this to the OP. That is not a good mixture, as some of those fish aren't even temperature compatible with bettas.
Don't mix schooling fish with bettas as the betta can become overwhelmed by the large amount of fish surrounding him and possibly become aggressive with them.

It's not recommended to do fish that are larger than bettas because they will become aggressive, or fish that are significantly smaller.
What about Black Phantom or Lemon Tetras, Sterba's Cories, a few guppies and a Dwarf Gourami?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ValerieAdams said:
What about Black Phantom or Lemon Tetras, Sterba's Cories, a few guppies and a Dwarf Gourami?
Sounds good!
Why not try this?

12 Black Phantom
8 Sterbai Cory
4 Guppies
1 Dwarf Gourami or Honey Gourami
1 Bristlenose

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's kind of what I had in mind. However I will probably do Malaysian Trumpet Snails instead of the bristlenose because I have a sandy substrate. What order would you stock that?

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fanatic said:

Sorry... I understand all this but I had assumed we were talking about female bettas. Female bettas and celestial pearl danios have worked perfectly for me. Betta was happy, healthy and the tetras swam away from her (different level of the tank, never dared to go near her). BTW I meant only one school, not all the fish I suggested. I know that with multiple schools the betta will be stressed. I have had lots of success with this stocking in a 35G:

x1 female betta (top swimmer)
x10 celestial pearl danios (middle swimmer)
x6 albino cories (bottom swimmer)

The betta lived for quite awhile, fins were healthy, and she was very lively and active - no signs of stress or disease

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
RainBetta said:
Sorry... I understand all this but I had assumed we were talking about female bettas. Female bettas and celestial pearl danios have worked perfectly for me. Betta was happy, healthy and the tetras swam away from her (different level of the tank, never dared to go near her). BTW I meant only one school, not all the fish I suggested. I know that with multiple schools the betta will be stressed. I have had lots of success with this stocking in a 35G:

x1 female betta (top swimmer)
x10 celestial pearl danios (middle swimmer)
x6 albino cories (bottom swimmer)

The betta lived for quite awhile, fins were healthy, and she was very lively and active - no signs of stress or disease
Yes, that will work.
I also want to mention that bettas are not top dwelling fish, they live all along the tank from the bottom to the top.
Just because they breathe air doesn't make them a top dweller.

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fanatic said:
Yes, that will work.
I also want to mention that bettas are not top dwelling fish, they live all along the tank from the bottom to the top.
Just because they breathe air doesn't make them a top dweller.
Mine always swam at the top of the water... no clue why

TLOP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had phantom tetras last year, and they were pretty aggressive. I genuinely confused, as I thought they were a peaceful tetra

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fanatic said:
Sounds good!
Why not try this?

12 Black Phantom
8 Sterbai Cory
4 Guppies
1 Dwarf Gourami or Honey Gourami
1 Bristlenose
In what order would you stock these? I was thinking, guppies, 6 tetras, 6 more tetras, cory, then Gourami. Would that be an okay order?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ValerieAdams said:
In what order would you stock these? I was thinking, guppies, 6 tetras, 6 more tetras, cory, then Gourami. Would that be an okay order?
You can stock them in any order really. I personally would do the gourami last. I would stock the tetras along with the cory, they won't have aggression issues

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fanatic said:
You can stock them in any order really. I personally would do the gourami last. I would stock the tetras along with the cory, they won't have aggression issues
You don't think it would set off a mini cycle? I am using a lot of ammonia to cycle so maybe it wouldn't?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom