How to sterilize tank

AutisticFishBlog

Member
Hello, I recently had a fish die in this tank from parasites. I need to properly sterilize my 10 gallon tank and start completely over with the nitrogen cycle. Is there a way st sterilize the substrate, does it matter? Should I throw it out?? How do I sterilize plastic decorations and such?
 
  • Thread Starter

AutisticFishBlog

Member
AutisticFishBlog said:
Hello, I recently had a fish die in this tank from parasites. I need to properly sterilize my 10 gallon tank and start completely over with the nitrogen cycle. Is there a way st sterilize the substrate, does it matter? Should I throw it out?? How do I sterilize plastic decorations and such?
 

Attachments

Tristen

Member
AutisticFishBlog said:
Hello, I recently had a fish die in this tank from parasites. I need to properly sterilize my 10 gallon tank and start completely over with the nitrogen cycle. Is there a way st sterilize the substrate, does it matter? Should I throw it out?? How do I sterilize plastic decorations and such?
I would do a bleach cleaning. Here’s a good video that explains everything:
 

Tristen

Member
AutisticFishBlog said:
Hello, I recently had a fish die in this tank from parasites. I need to properly sterilize my 10 gallon tank and start completely over with the nitrogen cycle. Is there a way st sterilize the substrate, does it matter? Should I throw it out?? How do I sterilize plastic decorations and such?
Also you don’t need to throw anything out if you bleach clean it. I wouldn’t bleach the substrate though. I would either get new substrate or boil it in a pot like 2-3 times for an hour.
 

GlennO

Member
What sort of parasites? Sterilisation is usually only necessary for serious and persistent bacterial infections. Parasites will die without a host.
 
  • Thread Starter

AutisticFishBlog

Member
I’m not sure, so what happened was two fish had signs of internal parasites i Moved them to the 10 gallon tank and treated them with prazipro parasite meds, but in that time one of the fish developed fin rot so then I treated them with melafix for bacterial infection. But they both ended up dying eventually. But now I don’t know what to do with my 20 gallon no others a showing signs but i wonder what I should do to make sure it doesn’t happen again in my 20 gallon
 

GlennO

Member
Without knowing the cause of death it's difficult to advise but a tear down and sterilisation is quite a drastic measure.
 
Top Bottom