how to stat a green water tank?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by scotty b, Dec 3, 2012.

1. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

i would like to start a green water tank to raise fry or shrimp in how dose one start up a green water tank?
    how long will it take? i havent been able to grow algae at all but would like a tank full of it as a lot of fish like to eat it and what not
    thanks

2. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

There was a thread on here recently about leaving mason jars with water on windowsills to grow algae. I believe the process is much easier with natural sunlight, and putting seeded filter media in the tank. Hopefully someone who raises fry should be along soon.

3. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

i cant get straight sunlight i can get a bit of indirect lighting thou i hope i can get a good amount of algae to grow in a 10 gallon

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Direct sunlight is best - not sure about indirect. Maybe you could dose with some fertilizers.

5. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

i have a light fixture i can use. will house hold "day" light bulbs work ?

6. LucyModeratorModerator Member

A window sill would be better.
    Throw some lettuce in the jars and leave it sit.
    After it turns green hold your nose and strain it.

7. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

Throw in some rocks for the algea to grow on too.

8. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

could i culture it in a jar on rocks and in the water then add it to a tank as a culture to grow from?

9. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

If your tank is small enough, just use it as the jar. Save transferring it. To keep the culture you would.need the same conditions I.e. light, fertiliser, lettuce etc...

10. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Put a jar full of tank water in a north or south facing window so that it's getting indirect sunlight (direct sunlight can easily cook the culture), toss in some plant matter. For faster results, chop/blend the plant matter before adding it. A small piece of miracle gro plant spike works well also.

You can achieve the same thing with come CFLs over a 10g, just let it run 24/7 and in time it should bloom.

11. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

What you're wanting out of that green water to feed your fry is called Infusoria. Lucys method is easier and cleaner because you strain it before feeding your fry. If you try to have green water in a tank you will have debris in the bottom of the tank from feeding the green water(infusoria). A fry tank needs to be extremely clean.

12. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

right now i have a 18 gallon with fry in it i was hoping to breed ghost shrimp in a algae infested tank as ive herd they do well in them and have a higher servival rate could i take a mason jar add tank water to it with some dead leafs from aquatic plant then put in window cell until i have a good algae bloom and add it to a tank and have the algae thrive in the tank or would i have to regrow it in a window?

13. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

The lettuce leaves seem to work better than aquatic plant leaves. Maybe because it decays faster.
    carol

14. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

hmm okay so ill use lettuce, would i be able to get it self sustaining in a tank after ive got it going?

15. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

But then your tank would be too dirty to have a healthy population of anything (fish/shrimp) in.

As stated above, you need to take out what grows in your green water (insuforia) and feed to them. The whole cocktail will just dirty your tank too quickly.

16. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

i want algae water is there a way to just have that? algae dosent hurt anything correct ?

17. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Algae is usually caused by a water problem. adult fish are usually in a tank as the problem starts and gets worse so they are kind of acclimated to it. High nitrates makes algae grow very fast.

Fry wouldn't be able to handle high nitrates. the debris in the tank from feeding green water would be bad for your fry.
    Hope that helps.
    Carol

18. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

i started a culture in a jar in the window its a milky color now what do i do ? wouldent it be good to have algae in a tank? it ''eats'' no3 and nh3 so it would help water quality no?

19. LucyModeratorModerator Member

What did you start it with?

20. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

i put a few shreds of lettuce in the jar and let it sit in the window

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice