How to start stocking?

Jahnikar

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI all,

I have a 29 gallon tank that I’m about to start stocking. I currently have two male endlers that I will be moving from my nano tank, along with my filter media. I’m also going to use a bottle of Safe Start just to be safe. I’m assuming the endlers will have nowhere near the bioload needed to sustain the bacteria in such a larger tank. I was thinking I would go to my LFS tomorrow and get them some tank mates to help maintain the BB and not lose my cycle. Is this a good plan?

Eventually, this is the stocking list I’d like to have:

1 Bolivian Ram (will be the last one added)
5 male endlers
5 black neon tetras
5 panda Cory catfish

1. Should I get the endlers, tetras or corys first? And how many?
2. Is my stocking list good or should I increase the number of endlers and tetras (eventually)?
3. Am I going about this all wrong? :confused:

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you are moving the filter media to your new 29 gallon tank that would seem fine, but I don't understand how buying tank mates from your LFS will help maintain the BB. I believe that most of your BB lives in your filter and a little in your substrate.

5 panda corys seem fine, and I wouldn't worry about what to add first. Just be aware to NEVER add too many fish in your new tank at once.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Since you asked, unless you just want more male endlers I'd skip them. Other than the two endlers you have now I'd add 8 - 10 of the black neon tetras first, wait a couple weeks, then add the corys, and finally the ram.

OP
Jahnikar

Jahnikar

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gel0city said:
If you are moving the filter media to your new 29 gallon tank that would seem fine, but I don't understand how buying tank mates from your LFS will help maintain the BB. I believe that most of your BB lives in your filter and a little in your substrate.
It was my understanding that the BB needed ammonia to feed from in order to maintain the cycle. Would two tiny endlers provide enough ammonia to maintain the cycle?

JettsPapa said:
Since you asked, unless you just want more male endlers I'd skip them. Other than the two endlers you have now I'd add 8 - 10 of the black neon tetras first, wait a couple weeks, then add the corys, and finally the ram.
I definitely want the endlers, they’re one of my favorites ;)

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Jahnikar said:
It was my understanding that the BB needed ammonia to feed from in order to maintain the cycle. Would two tiny endlers provide enough ammonia to maintain the cycle?

I definitely want the endlers, they’re one of my favorites ;)
You've started me thinking, and that's dangerous, lol.

Moving your filter from one tank to another, with the same stocking, in theory would not be a problem, as long as the bio-load stays the same. But...you're moving to a larger tank, so the bio-load with only two Endlers will not be the same. You have much more water volume, so the ppm will be a lot less in a 29 gallon tank than in your nano tank. If you don't increase the bio-load to match the old tank, what will happen to the BB? Will they start to die off? Just using these numbers as a reference, your BB were handling, say, 2 ppm ammonia and nitrites in a certain period, 24 hours. Will you need to increase your bio-load to produce the same amount of ammonia and nitrites to keep the same BB colony? I would think so.

I DON"T KNOW!

What I do know, is you can add a certain number or small juveniles like the Endlers, Tetras, or Corys to an established tank and the BB will compensate, usually with no problems. I added 7 Zebra Danios just last Sunday, and haven't seen any change to my water parameters, so the BB should be able to handle your additions, one group at a time. If it were me, I would add them one group at a time, and test the water for a few days to make sure the BB can keep up, then add the next group.

I welcome any thoughts to my thinking. Like I said, when I get to thinking, it can be dangerous :)

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree as well, just make sure you are checking your parameters every so often. Don't want to add too many fish at once, as the bioload could kill your BB.

OP
Jahnikar

Jahnikar

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mongo75 said:
You've started me thinking, and that's dangerous, lol.

Moving your filter from one tank to another, with the same stocking, in theory would not be a problem, as long as the bio-load stays the same. But...you're moving to a larger tank, so the bio-load with only two Endlers will not be the same. You have much more water volume, so the ppm will be a lot less in a 29 gallon tank than in your nano tank. If you don't increase the bio-load to match the old tank, what will happen to the BB? Will they start to die off? Just using these numbers as a reference, your BB were handling, say, 2 ppm ammonia and nitrites in a certain period, 24 hours. Will you need to increase your bio-load to produce the same amount of ammonia and nitrites to keep the same BB colony? I would think so.

I DON"T KNOW!

What I do know, is you can add a certain number or small juveniles like the Endlers, Tetras, or Corys to an established tank and the BB will compensate, usually with no problems. I added 7 Zebra Danios just last Sunday, and haven't seen any change to my water parameters, so the BB should be able to handle your additions, one group at a time. If it were me, I would add them one group at a time, and test the water for a few days to make sure the BB can keep up, then add the next group.

I welcome any thoughts to my thinking. Like I said, when I get to thinking, it can be dangerous :)
Yes! This is exactly what I was thinking only you said it way, WAY better than me ;)

New Threads