How to start keeping Firemouth Cichlids

Daniodude

So I have a spare 31 gallon tank, and I want to start keeping new world cichlids, and I've heard that firemouths are a good place to start, is there anything I should know?

MrBryan723

31 gallons will be a little small for adults to live in comfortably. They are pretty aggressive fish.

Daniodude

Would It be ok if I only kept one or two in the tank?

MrBryan723

Well, they can get up to around 6" which is pretty substantial for a tank that size. Not so much bioload, but just swimming room in general. Some Bolivian or blue rams or a smaller apisto species would do better. If you do like the firemouths that much, you could start some juveniles in the 31 and move them into a 55 later. I see 55s for sale for cheap pretty often on craigslist. And 55 would be a good size for them. Maybe like a 40 breeder.

BeardedTetra

Every few months I get the notion that I want to keep firemouths.

I haven't acted on it yet, b/c I'm thinking 125 gallon biotope.

Islandvic

I've got a Firemouth. Very cool fish. It was included in a bunch of SA fish my friend gave me when he upgraded tanks.

Mine is in a 75g with the other SA's.

In my opinion , they are to large too keep in a 31g tank.

My advice is to check out the Rams like MrBryan723 suggested, and take a look at Lake Tanganyikan shell dwellers from African. They are a dwarf cichlid.

Here are some videos from Prime Time Aquatics channel on YouTube that may help....

JB92668

fire mouths get big and can be aggressive your better off starting with convic cichlids they are easy as to keep and breed they should be fine in your tank keep in mind a bigger tank is all ways better than a small tank when it comes to cichlids

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom