29 Gallon Tank How to start a low tech planted tank?

FishWithTim

Hello everyone, I’m in the process of turning my 29 gallon into a low tech planted tank. Currently I just have 2.5 inches of sand in the aquarium which I know I will probably have to change. I have 3 Java ferns which could probably be doing better. I’ve been doing tons of research and all of it is just so conflicting. I have no idea what kind of substrate I should use. Whether I use organic potting soil and cap it? Which apparently will run out of nutrients. Whether I use eco complete? Or the ADA stuff I have no clue. I’m looking for a substrate that will last me a while that has its own nutrients. My current light setup is something I bought from petco, which is Aqueon 30 inch deluxe full hood. Not sure if that’s good enough.

Tank stocking:
x6 albino corys
x4 guppies
x1 Albino BN
x1 female betta (no issues perfectly fine)

SouthAmericanCichlids

I don't believe many plants need a special substrate, most can have just sand. Of course with fertilizer. Though my planted tank is my first and hasn't been up for long. But if you put a list on here of the plants you want, I am sure the people on here will tell you, this one needs special substrate, this needs only fertilizer, this one needs root tabs and ferts, this needs Co2, etc. So I would just post a list and see what more experienced plant keepers think of each.

Upvote 0

FishWithTim

I don't believe many plants need a special substrate, most can have just sand. Of course with fertilizer. Though my planted tank is my first and hasn't been up for long. But if you put a list on here of the plants you want, I am sure the people on here will tell you, this one needs special substrate, this needs only fertilizer, this one needs root tabs and ferts, this needs Co2, etc. So I would just post a list and see what more experienced plant keepers think of each.
Thanks, doing that now.

Upvote 0

FishWithTim

So for the plants I’d like to get as stated in the title, this is hopefully going to be a low tech planted tank. So with plants like Java fern, Anubias, Java fern etc. Right now I just have 3 Java ferns. Never really kept plants before so I’d consider myself a beginner when it comes to them. My substrate consists of imagitarium black sand.

Upvote 0

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom