Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

How To Start A Flowerhorn Tank

Discussion in 'Flowerhorn Cichlid' started by mperkins21, Apr 16, 2019.

1. mperkins21Valued MemberMember

I have always wanted a flower horn, i currently have a 55g community tank and i was thinking of getting a flowerhorn. I saw a good deal on a 60g could that work? can they have a pleco later down the line or no? just any ideas would be great like what not to do lol

2. A201Well Known MemberMember

In most cases a 60 gal tank will work for a single FH. Some grow to 10+ inches. They really aren't community fish, more likely a solo "Wet Pet". Some keepers like the bare / empty tank look, but I keep my Red Texas FH in a aquascaped tank.
    Good quality filtration and a 50% WC each week a must.
    Feeding is easy. Quality brand Cichlid floating sticks or pellets do the trick. Buy a Juvenile FH, it makes things much easier regarding acclimation. Here's a pic of my FH. 20190329_171103.jpg

3. MommaWildeWell Known MemberMember

I agree with A201 that a 60 gal is fine. I also keep mine alone. He has a minimalist setup with sand, a piece of wood and a tall fake plant.

He's kind of like a giant betta but far more aggressive.

4. mperkins21Valued MemberMember

where did you get yours? my lfs has one but it’s more likely gonna go soon and they don’t get them often.. so i’ll probs have to order it but idk any good like online stores any recommendations?

5. A201Well Known MemberMember