How to stabilize PH with Live Plants?

Discussion in 'pH' started by tetra2015, Jul 10, 2015.

1. t

tetra2015 New Member Member

Is there anything I can use to stabilize my ph with live plants many of them say do not use with live plants

2. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Most importantly, unless extreme or toward a very specific purpose, I would leave your pH alone.
    If you really need to alter it, use SeaChems Alkaline Buffer and their Acid Buffer in conjunction; they are the safest, as they maintain your KH.
    Seachems Neutral, on the other hand, uses a non carbonate buffer, so contributes nothing to your KH, but will keep your pH stable, but is not recommended for planted aquariums. rick

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  3. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

That was a good Link, Ken, but I still tend to be cautious about altering pH unless it is absolutely necessary. I understand that in some drougt areas, like S, Calf., water values have changed to a degree where it is necessary. I think that this side of the Continent is okay, given our constant rain:), up here, anyway. Best to you, rick

4. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

I recently stopped using Seachem's Neutral Regulator because it was causing algae. Although I must give credit where it is due, it did work and didn't hurt the fish. Even the cardinal tetras, who are very sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I would just add crushed coral in a mesh bag into your filter or into the substrate itself. This will stabilize your ph.

What is your ph and kh? I see your ph in 7.0, what has it been falling to?

6. OP
    OP
    t

tetra2015 New Member Member

It's been going to 6.2

7. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Some crushed coral or aragonite will stabilize it naturally. Just start with a small amount, like 1/2 cup and monitor it and go from there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice