How to soak gravel,rocks,wood to kill snails

JasperWard

What concentration of aquariam salt will kill snails. I have already dismantled my tank so do not tell me to dip in cucumbers. I simply need to know what to use and what concentration to kill snails in my tank. I am boiling wood in salty water and rocks are soaking in salty water, what concentration should it he and for how long.

ChrissFishes01

It depends. Malaysian Trumpet Snails will survive even full saltwater, so it's unlikely you're going to be able to kill all of those with just salt, even at high concentrations.

You can use water mixed with bleach at a 1:2 ratio to try and kill any eggs left in the tank/on the rock - leave it overnight, and then rinse with plenty of water and do a large dose of dechlorinator.

Plan on simply throwing away any plants that were in the tank. You won't be able to get rid of all the eggs and tiny snails on those without killing the plants.

I'd also soak your substrate in bleached water, or completely change it out.

I say all this, and would like to make a point: it's very, very likely you won't be able to get all of the snails/snail eggs out of the tank, and even if you do, you're going to have a very tough time keeping snails from getting into the tank in the future. Snails are a good thing. No reason to be scared of them, and if you have an insane amount of them, it's likely you had excess food in the tank anyway.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Won't work anyway.

While the driftwood may leach salt to the watercolumn now for who-knows-how long, the salt on the rocks will dissolve into the watercolumn in a few hours.

So if the tank is empty allready, just rinse with saltwater and then rinse again with freshwater. Hot (70°C) water is also an option without adding anything.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Finatic005
  • CrazyCatChick
  • Snails
Replies
Views
CrazyCatChick
Replies
Views