How To Smooth Sand Substrate And Make It Even

MaximumRide14
This might be really stupid, but I’m having a hard time smoothing out the sand substrate in this new tank. From the front, the line looks really uneven too. Anyone got any advice to make this easier?
I also have some floating substrate at the surface of the water. I remove that, right?
Image1521927718.291773.jpg
Image1521927735.046633.jpg
Image1521927753.599195.jpg

Thunder_o_b
I use a paper towel to remove the floaters.

I just use my hand to smooth the sub straight.

MaximumRide14
Thanks! The paper towel thing really works!

SLeroux
This might be really stupid, but I’m having a hard time smoothing out the sand substrate in this new tank. From the front, the line looks really uneven too. Anyone got any advice to make this easier?
I also have some floating substrate at the surface of the water. I remove that, right?View attachment 422297View attachment 422298View attachment 422299
Not sure your future stocking but my cories tend to even everything out when I mess up the sand planting or cleaning.

MaximumRide14
Not sure your future stocking but my cories tend to even everything out when I mess up the sand planting or cleaning.

This tank will only have a betta in it.

r5n8xaw00
Something I have learned about sand substrate, is to leave it higher in the back so that waste can roll down hill toward the front for easier cleaning.

Hunter1
What size tank?

I have sand in my betta tank, and 6 sterbia corys. It’s a 20 long and the sand stays smooth from the corys.

But I think the normal movement of water from the filter will smooth it out over time.

Lunnietic
I usually don't notice mine is uneven with all the decorations inside of it.

MaximumRide14
What size tank?

I have sand in my betta tank, and 6 sterbia corys. It’s a 20 long and the sand stays smooth from the corys.

But I think the normal movement of water from the filter will smooth it out over time.

5.5 gallon

mattgirl
As in nature the sand in my tank (55 gallon) is constantly moving. The Corys and Elbert, the BN Pleco constantly rearrange it.

Hunter1
5.5 gallon
I think it looks good as is. I wouldn’t worry about it. IMO being uneven is more natural but between a filter and betta swimming around, and vacuuming, i’d be surprised if it doesn’t smooth out.

psalm18.2
Use a credit card or flat surface to even it out.

DaveyboyManc
Buy a cheap tape-measure - extend it to the depth - run it from front to back - then do it from back to front to get the few inches you missed

Galathiel
I've used a cheap plastic ruler to help smooth mine a bit better. Of course then my canister blows it all to one side so I have to do it ...often.

GreekGills
There are packs of different size plastic spackling/putty knives you could use as well. 6 piece set on Amazon for $9

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
OBWanKenobi
Replies
Views
BettaCyrus
Replies
Views
SparkyJones
Top Bottom