How To Slow Filter Current

Fearyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i have an aqueon 75 quietflow in my 36 gallon but I dont think my swordtails like the current very much. Would putting a sponge over the intake help slow it?

Paradise fish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It could but only do so by clogging the filter. You can instead try to redirect the flow by making and attaching a shelf under the outtake, having the water ripple the surface more instead of plunging deep into the tank. Raising the water line will also help.

I do this all the time with my low flow fish like gouramis.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You can put a sponge in the filter out flow, or you could direct the out flow at a tank wall to let the friction remove most of the water speed!

bgclarke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have pre-filter sponges on the intakes of all my Quietflow filters.

The only time it slowed the flow down was when the sponge (Fluval Edge pre-filter sponge) became clogged and affected the intake of water.

OrandaPen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I tried a few sponges on my intakes of same filter never slowed it down.. put some thing on out flow as mary said .
20171128_124826.jpg
20171128_124804.jpg
20171128_124757.jpg

Terabyte

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah on my penguin 170 it made a lot of flow and it made so much noise so I just stuffed a standard filter cartridge into where the water comes out

OrandaPen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ya i like it, only one that stayed. i had to move my others out to free up space for some big boys. Also why i just put that filter stuff on out takes. They're pond raised.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom