How to Siphon?

BettaCentral

HI everyone!
I just got a siphon for my betta tank. It is well established, 10 gallons, filtered, and heated. Before, I did weekly water changes using a cup but the poop on the bare bottom is becoming apparent and seemingly dangerous so I got a mini-siphon. However, the entire big tube part that sucks water up is fully submerged for vacuuming. To control it, I would need to stick my hand into the water. I don't want to get oils, soap, or anything bad into his tank! How should I go about using this siphon? Thank you!

Aster

I don't know of any other way to use the siphon without sticking your hand into the water. Just rinse under running water really well before putting your hand in

Mothercrow

I agree with Aster, and want to add that you want full control of the siphon at all times, or you risk sucking up the fish! At least, mine always want to attack it!

BettaCentral

Haha yeah! I siphoned yesterday and I found that I can get the siphon to the bottom while having control by only putting my fingers in! He was a little confused as to what it was and he started nipping at my fingers, as he always does, but it worked well! Thank you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
The_fishy
Replies
Views
cdw202x
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views