How to sink driftwood?

Cory04

Any ideas on how to sink wood? I have some river rock, but when I try to weigh down the driftwood with the rcoks, It doesn look good. Before I put the driftwood in the aquarium, I boiled them for about 20 minutes then rinsed the wood.

StarGirl

Sometimes you just have to soak it in a bucket or something until it sinks.

TClare

Soaking is one answer but takes some time, and can be difficult with large pieces. We have managed in some cases to use rocks to hold it down, but it does depend to an extent on the shape of the wood and how you want it. I believe you can use stainless steel screws to attach it to a piece of slate that can be buried in the substrate. We have also been lucky enough to find some presoaked pieces in our local river.

Dechi

If boiling doesn’t work, just put it in the tank with a big rock on top of it and you can remove it in a few weeks, when it sinks.

Broggy

I just let it float until it sinks, if its been boiled already, it should only take a few hours or so

JettsPapa

Broggy said:
I just let it float until it sinks, if its been boiled already, it should only take a few hours or so
Same here, except I don't boil mine. I rinse it with a hose, then put it in the tank. Depending on the type of wood it will sink in anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks.

Cory04

On google it says that it will take a long time to sink if I just kept them soaking, but they sank after 3 hours.

RelaxingBettas

I've been cursing driftwood all morning, days playing with superglue and rocks, and finally rubberbands did the trick. Gotta have deep enough substrate to bury the ugly anchor but that's not a problem here lol

Latest threads

Top Bottom