How to Sex Firemouths?

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm on a posting spree! Weeeeeeeeeeee! 3rd post today

Well I have some Firemouths that I want to breed and I just don't have the patience to wait for the pair to form.

I've looked on many sites (20+) and they all say the same thing. "Coloration and fin length are not good indicators".. and etc.. So I tried to vent my FM's..

First time, not a good idea. Stressed the poor suckers out.. I'm a terrible pet owner.. Anyway, Does anyone know how to sex Firemouths with accuracy?

Leave some tips/comments please

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If finnage and coloration is not a good way to tell then it looks like waiting for them to pair is the only sure way to tell for sure.
I don't think I've had the opportunity to say ... Welcome to FishLore so...
Carol

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Venting is the only sure way or waiting until they spawn. Good news is they spawn at a small size.

I am always curious, how exactly did you stress the fish out by venting it? I see this from time to time and I just don't get it. Just wondering.

Brian

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I bought them... Released them into the tank that had no other fish.. (Cycled of course) Had the great idea to vent them! (I only knew that males had 2 holes that were similar sized and females had a big hole and small hole) Took out the good ole net and chased them trying to catch them, Looked at each of them for a while.. I forgot they needed to be in water to breathe so I guess thats the way to stress them

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So the venting didn't stress them, don't take this the wrong way, but being out of the water for a long period of time is what did it I think is what you are saying. If you google how to vent 1000 pages will come up. Some have great pics some don't. Part of your problem may also be it is easier to vent as the fish get larger, simply bigger fish bigger holes.
I am not saying you should read up and try again, but if you are going to I would. A cichlid out of water for 5-10sec while you vent it is not going to cause dire stress. I wouldn't study the fish for minutes at a time but you can stare at pics all day long. For this purpose the scientific type articles seem to have the best photos.

Brian

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, It was my fault.. But they're doing just fine surprisingly. They're not scared of me and they approach the glass when I come to feed them. Sadly 3 of the 4 FM's I bought aren't T. Meeki..

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Right or wrong cichlids can take a lot more than people think, I wouldn't worry abut it too much.

If they are not Meeki what are they?

Brian

NM I see the other thread.....

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Venting is the only sure way or waiting until they spawn. Good news is they spawn at a small size.

I am always curious, how exactly did you stress the fish out by venting it? I see this from time to time and I just don't get it. Just wondering.

Brian
Venting requires removing the fish from the tank, place it in a silk (or silk like) cloth, while holding it and inspecting its analfin area as it gasps for water. Which of these steps you consider would not stress a fish? I believe all of them do.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Venting requires removing the fish from the tank, place it in a silk (or silk like) cloth, while holding it and inspecting its analfin area as it gasps for water. Which of these steps you consider would not stress a fish? I believe all of them do.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo
Lets take it one part at a time......

Venting requires removing the fish from the tank- Fish are removed from tanks everyday. At the store when you buy them, at home when you change tanks and what not. I don't believe this can be prevented, as long as we move/ship fish they will be removed from tanks.

place it in a silk (or silk like) cloth- what exactly is the need for this silk cloth?

while holding it and inspecting its analfin area as it gasps for water. - It gasps for water anytime out of the water. I am pretty sure I said a cichlid out of water for 5-10 seconds is not going to cause dire stress to the fish, and it won't. This is a practice that is done hundreds of times daily. Does it cause some stress, sure why not. But so does poking around a tank with a camera to take pics but we do that. Or sticking a tube in a tank to clean it but we shouldn't stop doing that. Reaching our hand in a tank to rearrange decor but we do this also. Is chasing a fish around and taking it out of water the same thing I am sure you will say no. But do they both cause some amount of stress I think here you will say yes. So why stop one but not the other?

Lets take a species that can only have one male in a tank. Now you buy 6 of said fish and you know you can only have one male what would be better here.
1.) You vent them and remove all but one male.
2.) you leave all 6 and let the dominant male kill off the others.
No obviously option 2 will not happen with Meeki, but which would be more stressful? Should we vent them, which someone who knows what to look for can be done in a matter of seconds then throw the fish back into the tank or do we let the male kill off the others.

Fish stress happens on a regular basis, I also believe I said the amount a cichlid can take is way beyond what most think. At no point did I say venting them would push their limits because it won't. How about those who keep Africans that the male and females look identical, just like the Meeki here? What should they do? If they are aiming for 1male and 2-3 females should they buy 6 fish and let the male kill the other males off or would 5 seconds out of the water to vent be a better way to go.

Brian

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom